• Show
Clear All
  • Crockett
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Buffalo, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Sanding Cultered Marble??

Hello folks, thought I ask for the great advise of the forum once again. I have to replace a vanity and sink in the bathroom. The space I have to work with is 48", exactly. It seems that the standard sized vanity top/sinks measure in at 49" to give a 1/2" overhang on the cabs. I don't have the inch to spare. Someone at the HD said that the cultured marble top I am looking at can be hard to cut and I risk cracking it. He suggested I use a belt sander and sand away a 1/2" from each side. Has anyone every done this before? Is it possible? any insight is appreciated.

thanks!
    Al
    Al
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Sanding down 1/2 is gonna go through a lot of belts. A lot quicker to cut it. I did a quick google search and came up with several resources. Also There is probably a local shop near you who could cut it if you bring it in.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I am going to be cutting one down in the near future and had one that was headed for the dump to play with. I used a circ saw to rough cut it and sanded the edges 'smooth' with a course belt. Messy but not hard to do.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

A diamond blade will make short work of that stuff. Thats what I use to cut real marble tiles that I am using to remodel a guest bath.
        Lee

Comment

• Tequila
          • Aug 2004
          • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Why not just go with a custom top? HD and Lowes have them available for special order.
          -Joe

Comment

• thiggy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Alabama.
            • Craftsman Contractor

I don't know if the material is the same, but I once sawed 4 " off the back edge of a Corian countertop to narrow it and give me a bacsplash. I just used a carbide tooth blade and ripped it slowly on my radial arm saw. I rather assume that this is similar to cultured marble.
            SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• Esteban
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2003
              • Puerto Rico.

I cut mine using a 4 ½” grinder with a 3/32” masonry cutting wheel adding some water. Expect lots and lots of dust. You can also use masking or duct tape to reduce chipping. Sand like regular wood, use car polish to restore the shine.

Comment

• offthemark
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Germantown, TN, USA.
                • BT3100

Had the same exact issue when I replace one of these before. I easily found a local manufacturer by looking in the yellow pages. They made me one to spec, got to pick the color I (actually my wife) wanted, and it was actually cheaper than the HD version. I would highly recommend you at least try this option.
                Mark
                --------
                "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• Crockett
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Buffalo, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Thansk guys, I will think about the ideas you gave and make a decision shortly. It sounds like cutting it is not as difficult as it was made out to be.
                  Al
                  Al

Comment

Working...