Attach door to kitchen cabinet side panel??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve-u
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Bartlett, Ill.
    • Ryobi BT 3100

Attach door to kitchen cabinet side panel??

My wife wants me to look into dressing up her kitchen. Our house is 15 years old and our kitchen has pretty decent oak cabinets but the ends/sides of the cabinets are just covered with veneer that has faded on couple of cabinets. She has noticed in HD/Lowes that you can get kitchen cabinets that essentialy have doors attached to those ends to make them look more upscale like the side of a fine roll top desk. I checked and found out that our kithchen cabinets are still being made in the style and stain we have. I am thinking about ordering some doors to use as she wants.

Now what I want to know is what would be the best way to attach the doors to the sides. I am thinking maybe glue and a few finish nails?? If glue should be used what would be good glue for that purpose? I have a PC finish nailer at my disposal if that would make the job easier. Thanks for ay advice. The pictures give you an idea of what I am trying to do where I took using an existing door as an example leaning it against a cabinet side.

Thanks, Steve
    Attached Files
  • jAngiel
    • Oct 2003
    • Ryobi BT3100

You could always use screws through the inside of the cabinet.
    James

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

James has it right - screw through from the inside. Slightly elongate the pilots horizontally - this will allow absolutely accurate positioning before final tightening, plus a small range of movement in case of humidity changes in the door. Use cup washers on the inside and practice on a piece of same-thickness scrap to get the screw length right!

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• steve-u
        Established Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Bartlett, Ill.
        • Ryobi BT 3100

You guys are great. I never even thought of that! How deep should I drive the screw into the door? They are 3/4 inch thick. Maybe 5/8 inch?

Steve

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Why not add a shallow extension to the end about the depth of a spice cabinet? Not much added work and it is functional then.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by steve-u
            How deep should I drive the screw into the door? They are 3/4 inch thick. Maybe 5/8 inch?
            That would be fine - just be careful not to screw into the panel.

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Spice rack would be cool, or cookbooks. You could also use thin double sided carpet tape to hold the panel until you screw it in place.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• steve-u
                Established Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Bartlett, Ill.
                • Ryobi BT 3100

Thanks for the ideas about spice cabinet or book rack. That may work in one or two places. I have 6 ends to cover.

Steve

Comment

• jabe
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Hilo, Hawaii
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

James & Ray got it right, clamp it in place & screw it from the inside. If you cann't clamp it have your wife hold it in place, Ray's method of making a slotted hole allows for adjustment. The length of the screw will depend on the thickness of the panel and your cabinet side. I usually use screws 1/4" shorter than the total thickness of the 2 panels I'm attaching. All my cabinet end panels are screwed on from the inside & cap the exposed screw head with a matching cap. Fastcap sells a vareity of peel & stick caps PVC or real wood, finished or unfinished, www.fastcap.com

Comment

Working...