X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Mar 2004
    • Northern NJ, USA.
    • BT3100

Anyone ever install tin ceilings?

I'm looking to do a tin ceiling in my kitchen. Looking at tin for several reasons, comment upon them as you see fit. First, I kinda like the look and retro quality. Second, I think they'll be easier (at least in a way) then drywall. Third, its nto that expensive when compared to professionally having dryall put up.

My 1920's house has a sagging/falling plaster ceiling (with who knows what kind of paint flaking) which is covered by a drop ceiling. Its ugly, and the paint flakes/pieces of plaster fall through. I now have a kid that will be toddling this winter (she's 3mos now). Also, the bathtub drain, above, is leaking. So, you get the idea.

I was gonna do drywall, but I need to have the kitchen operational as I redo the ceiling. I mean, I'll seal it off for a weekend to demolish, and then clean real well, but I can't go and reseal all doors, cover all counters/appliances every time I need to mud and sand and sand and mud. I do good drywall work, but I'm way too slow and too many mud/sand cycles. Tin ceiling should be relatively mess free with plywood substrate (at worst saw dust) and then nailing up tin pieces at my own pace. Can but the wood and tin outside. No fine dust or crumbled gypsum to remove.

Okay, that's the plan. Now shoot holes in it and tell me where I'm wrong.

Curt J.
    A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Tin Tiles

I'm in the process of installing a tin ceiling in my kitchen now. I'm going to use the grid drop ceiling method though - just slip the 2x2 tin tiles under the accoustic ones, and paint the grid to match. I'm going with AmericanTinCeilings.com - nice folks.
    To do is to be.

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

one hole that I'll shoot.

Fix the leak before you fix the ceiling.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Mar 2004
        • Northern NJ, USA.
        • BT3100

umm..yeah!

Good thing you reminded me!

Just kidding, but yes, I guess I forgot to put that step in. Also gonna change the light fixtures (from suspended flourescent to 4" recessed) and insulate the ceiling, Maybe put even sister a few joists in anticipation of future structural changes to the kitchen and bath abive. I think that covers all the unsaid stuff.

curt j.

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by Russianwolf
          Originally posted by 430752
          Good thing you reminded me!
          Wow, you guys are way ahead of me, already.

I just had my first "water dripping on the dining room table from an overflowing upstairs toilet" incident a few weeks back. (You should have seen the look on the kids' faces when I made it clear where the water was coming from. Priceless.)

Uhhh, where was I.

I've never done a tin ceiling, but I think your reasoning is sound. I'd suggest that if you do anticipate some plumbing trouble that you consider building in some access -- i.e. a removeable section. But I'm guessing you're all over that, too.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Great idea. I am more familiar with the adhesive method versus the nailing but should be pretty much the same.
            A good point is made about future repair. Make sure you keep a few extra tile (maybe 16 sq ft or so) so if you have to tear out to make plumbing repairs in the future you will have matching replacement.
            What color / style are you going with?

Comment

• Mar 2004
              • Northern NJ, USA.
              • BT3100

Colore: white or copper.

If anyone has seen/used these color, please add any insight.

THe choice is basically white or copper. White works cuz, well, its white. Its also about 25% cheaper and fits the cost trade of of getting professional drywallers come in who can do it with less mess, less time. But my logic went that for that price, I can get a cool ceiling, not just drywall. Yeah, I gotta do the work, but this way it is still less mess (although not less time).

Around that same logic, however, goes that if I'm gonna spend dollars and time for a tin ceiling, might as well get a good looking one and once that looks metallic. Hence copper. But, it is about $150 more and will clash withe current kitchen (circa 1950's) until I redo the walls. cabs, counters, etc.

well, we'll see.

curt j.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

The copper ceilings are awesome, if not a little trendy. That is the only thing I would worry about. $150 is not worth worrying about considering how long you will likely be looking at the room.
                The only two color I have saw in person was copper and a pewter type look. Maybe something a little more toned down like the pewter or brushed stainless look may work with your current look as well as future.

Comment

Working...