• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Ooops

I screwed up. I'd planned to tunnel under about 3' of concrete to run a drain line to an existing drain hole. It would be for future hookup to a sump pump. The drain is covered by a grate. I knew the sides were concrete but planned to dig the it out some. I discovered last night it the bottom of the hole is concrete also. Also complicating things is I can't just bust up the concrete since my concrete block wall is in place. 15 minutes or so extra work with the jackhammer when I had it and I would not have this problem...

So here are my options:

1. Bust up concrete close to my wall and tunnel under the wall. Pull the drain line to the hole and repour.

2. Bust the side out of the hole and tunnel to the hole. Repour the side of the drain hole

3. (my dad's advice) Get a bigger sump pump than the one I have and if we ever get a rain severe enough, put the pump in the hole with a hose.

Is the convenience of a permanent drain line worth it? I MIGHT use this once a year. I'd still have to add a hose fitting so I could hook up the pump.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

David

I'd listen to dear ole dad. All that work doesn't make sense for needing it MAYBE once a year.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

and what happens the one time you need it while you aren't home?

do the permanent drain.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Another problem you could run into... If the water sits behind your wall, your wall could fail due to the pressure.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Mike (Hellrazor),

Already accounted for that.

Mike (Russianwolf),

SWMBO has decreed it will be a permanent drain line. She is willing to compromise on location though, so I have found an easier way to do this.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...