X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PALefty
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006

Deck Lighting

I am looking for deck lighting ideas. Basically, I am just looking for some contemporary/modern accent lights to attach to the rail posts. Solar would be nice (if they work well), but I am not against running lines if I have to. If I do run lines, what is the best way to go about it? I imagine it would be bet to route a channel in the 2x4's between the posts to hide the line. Also, if installing a low-voltage variety, do the transformers typically get installed inside the house before the lines go out, or secured under the deck, or on the deck?

thanks in advance,

Jeff
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I put rope light under the top rail all around our deck. It provides enough light to see where you're going, without bathing the back yard in light. (We have other lights that can do that if/when necessary.)

I can give you more details if you're interested -- pretty straightforward, though.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Copper
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Madison, WI.
      • BT3100

I don't have a deck, but I did install some lighting along our sidewalk in front of the house. Solar lights aren't going to give off much light. The ones I've seen hardly have enough light to light a sidewalk let alone from a post to the floor of a deck (unless they're right along the floor). Don't count on them lighting steps too well. The advantage is that they don't require wires. I got some low-voltage lights and have 11W bulbs in them. They are very nice and give off good light. The transformer (with a timer) is in the garage, but some come in weather-resistant boxes that could be put under a deck. Be sure to get one that will carry enough wattage for all the lights (i.e. a 100W transformer is enough for 9 x 11W bulbs). Most of the transformers have a plug that can be run to an outlet somewhere.
      - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
      and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Rockler has a nice selection of deck lights, including some solar-powered ones. This would be a good place to start.

Also HD has a good selection of stuff.

JR
        JR

Comment

• PALefty
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tom Miller
          I put rope light under the top rail all around our deck. It provides enough light to see where you're going, without bathing the back yard in light. (We have other lights that can do that if/when necessary.)

I can give you more details if you're interested -- pretty straightforward, though.

Regards,
          Tom
          Yes, I have considered rope light as well and have not ruled it out. I don't think my association would like it though. I know of a neighbor that attempted to use it and had some flack. They wanted him to cover it with a strip of wood so it would just shine down and not out.

Comment

• PALefty
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Copper
            I don't have a deck, but I did install some lighting along our sidewalk in front of the house. Solar lights aren't going to give off much light. The ones I've seen hardly have enough light to light a sidewalk let alone from a post to the floor of a deck (unless they're right along the floor). Don't count on them lighting steps too well. The advantage is that they don't require wires. I got some low-voltage lights and have 11W bulbs in them. They are very nice and give off good light. The transformer (with a timer) is in the garage, but some come in weather-resistant boxes that could be put under a deck. Be sure to get one that will carry enough wattage for all the lights (i.e. a 100W transformer is enough for 9 x 11W bulbs). Most of the transformers have a plug that can be run to an outlet somewhere.
            No steps to worry about here. A plug in transformer would be nice. These really wouldn't do more than provide accent light.

Comment

• PALefty
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JR
              Rockler has a nice selection of deck lights, including some solar-powered ones. This would be a good place to start.

Also HD has a good selection of stuff.

JR
              I walked the aisle in Lowes today and they seemed to have a good selection too. Most are the kind you use in a yard with built in stakes. There were some 'deck' models.. mainly the half moon style.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by PALefty
                They wanted him to cover it with a strip of wood so it would just shine down and not out.
                Yeah, that's pretty much how mine is -- the way it's tucked underneath the rail, you really don't see the rope light itself. That was my own personal design consideration.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• rickd
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

If it's just 'accent' lighting you want, then solar lights would be great. We have them around a fishpond and patio in our backyard. They provide just enought light to be able to sit outside at night and still be able to see who you're talking to. You sure couldn't read by them though.

I got our set at Costco - simple and easy to install, then just forget about them!
                  rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• 91FE
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Originally posted by Tom Miller

Regards,
                    Tom
                    That's what I installed too. 1/2" low voltage rope light. I cut a dado into the underside of the top rail. The rail throws off a soft glow... but you can't see where it's coming from. I love the look of it.
                    I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• PALefty
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2006

What brand/model of rope light did each of you use?

Comment

• 91FE
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

got mine here:

America's Largest Online Light Bulb Retailer! Find thousands of LEDs, light bulbs, Christmas lights, and commercial light fixtures at unbeatable prices!
                        I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• DaveStL
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • St Louis, MO, USA.
                          • Jet 10: Xacta RT

Originally posted by PALefty
                          No steps to worry about here. A plug in transformer would be nice. These really wouldn't do more than provide accent light.
                          The kits are often a good value, even though the wire they include is of marginal diameter. Typically you get lights, some wire, and a transformer w/ enough power for the included lights plus 50% more (eg. 4X20W lights and a 120W transformer).

Beware the cheap snap-together plastic lights. I had a set of path lights (Toro) and was constantly reassembling them. After a year, I replaced them with metal.

BTW, there are at least two schemes for the transformers. Most I've seen have a built-in photocell and a switch to select 4 or 8 hours on after the photocell trips. The Malibu brand, however, has an old-fashioned 24-hour rotary timer with pegs that mechanically turn a switch on and off; it can accept a photocell on the output side.

Dave

Comment

• breedonm
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Apr 2004
                            • Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster! Some years ago one of first WW projects (before owning the saw) was the deck railing complete with lights. Idea came from a Wood Magazine, and since I am an Electronics Tech by trade I made some mods to the magazines idea for lighting.
                            Basically each 4x4 post is wrapped by 1x4's that are longer than the top of the post. This leaves a nice square area for installing lamps. I used an old X-mas light set that uses the 7W incandescent bulbs mounted inside on the top of the 4x4. Routed slots in the 1x4 post wraps for the wiring and ran most of the rest under the cap railing to the switch on the last post. All wiring is 120 VAC, but low voltage lamps would also work. Louvers were made without use of the BT as well. I could do much better today but this was a learning project.
                            Attached are some photos of the result. Note the white plastic diffuser lens serves dual purpose. Keeps spiders etc out in summer and snow out in winter. Temps in Calgary often reach -25 C in winter.
                            Attached Files
                            Mike

Comment

Working...