• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinht
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • North Andover, MA, USA.

Converting from Well to Town Water

I am about to connect to our town water system. The well will still be used for the irrigation system. I recently received an estimate of $1000 to lay the line (1" copper) from the gate to the house. They are not digging the trench, just laying the line and connecting to the gate. The gate is approximately 90 feet from the house and is already there so no work needed to install a gate. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.
    A Woodworker\'s Journey
    http://vinht.home.comcast.net
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by vinht
    I am about to connect to our town water system. The well will still be used for the irrigation system. I recently received an estimate of $1000 to lay the line (1" copper) from the gate to the house. They are not digging the trench, just laying the line and connecting to the gate. The gate is approximately 90 feet from the house and is already there so no work needed to install a gate. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.
    I think the price is high is no excavation is required. Can't you lay the tubing and then (if required by local ordinance) pay a plumber's hourly rate to connect?

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I'm surprised they are using copper, PVC is the norm around here.
      how far is the run that the plumber will be installing?
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Tom Slick
        I'm surprised they are using copper, PVC is the norm around here.
        My first thought, too. Continuous roll PVC pipe is the most commonly used.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• vinht
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004

I was told from Public Works that it needs to be 1" copper.
          A Woodworker\'s Journey

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

1" copper? oh boy. And for this particular application, it likely has to be type K too. Type L at least. Over here, 1" L copper is almost $50 per 10' - so factor in fittings and stuff, and it's half a grand for the 90' of copper alone.

Comment

• just4funsies
              • Dec 2005
              • Florida.
              • BT3000

Copper is expensive, but $11 per foot (not including excavation) seems rather high, methinks. I'd get a couple more estimates.
              ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• parnelli
                • Aug 2004
                • bt3100

Originally posted by scorrpio
                1" copper? oh boy. And for this particular application, it likely has to be type K too. Type L at least. Over here, 1" L copper is almost $50 per 10' - so factor in fittings and stuff, and it's half a grand for the 90' of copper alone.
                We've got 1" K here as well- and I think that it might even be more than 50 per 10'. If it were 75 or 80 I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

• vinht
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004

My landscaper asked someone he knew that does this in the town next to us. He told him approximately $4000 and said I got a "smokin" deal.

I don't understand why utility work is so expensive!
                  A Woodworker\'s Journey

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Why can't you buy the pipe, put it in the trench then pay for the hookup at the street? Does the tie-in at your house have to be inspected?
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dabeeler
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

Why would they require a 1" line to the house when the standard residential size meter is 5/8"? Would seem that 3/4" white pvc would be plenty. The water system here let me use white pvc (2") to extend a water main about 100" to my lot so they could hook a meter to it and sell me water. From the water meter to the house is 3/4 and that servers two dwellings.

Comment

• just4funsies
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Florida.
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by dabeeler
                        Why would they require a 1" line to the house when the standard residential size meter is 5/8"? Would seem that 3/4" white pvc would be plenty. The water system here let me use white pvc (2") to extend a water main about 100" to my lot so they could hook a meter to it and sell me water. From the water meter to the house is 3/4 and that servers two dwellings.
                        1" Type K copper is not much bigger (inside diameter, which is where it counts) than 3/4" PVC, and 3/4" copper is considerably smaller inside than even Sch. 40 PVC, so it would take 1" copper to do the same job as 3/4" PVC. "Nominal" sizes can be misleading.
                        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

Working...