Clear All
  • Caddis295
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2004
    • Williamson, GA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Pine Floor Option

Greetings all,

I have wide plank pine floors in my home. They are beautiful, but they do have a few downfalls, they wear in spots of high traffic, ie table area from the chair legs. And they expand and retract with humidity. Other than that....they are an inexpensive floor covering that gives my craftsman style kitchen a very nice look. Good Luck!

Dino
    Dino "Woodbin Pirate" Gutierrez
    "The greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising up every time we fall.”

Comment

• brooks
      Established Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by venkatbo
      I recently did a cabinet, and no matter how much precaution I took, I could not avoid even a scrath (reasonable deep) by a finger nail ! Isn't it true, that not before long, a pine-based floor would have all kinds of scratch marks on it...
      /venkat
      I lived in a house with pine floors and yes, it's true it does dent. But that's not a bad thing. It adds character. It's a beautiful look, in my opinion. People actually pay extra for "distressed" wood in many applications.

Slap several coats of poly on it and it will go a very long time without black marks, etc. Makes it easy to clean.

Comment

• dabeeler
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006

For a finish I would use Water White Restoration Varnish as it is a varnish with elasticity and therefore tends to scratch less than harder type finishes. Good floor finish.

David

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

My MIL has a summer house in Catskils with wide plank pine floors. The floor wares well and looks rustic. I agree with advice that this type of floor should not have any gloss - in fact do not overdo on finish, I would probably not go beyond 120 grit sanding, may be even 80. Also, I believe floor plank is a relatively cheap readily available product. It might make sense to buy prefabricated plank rather than mill your own boards.
          Alex V

Comment

Working...