• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Generator -> transfer switch wire size

I have a 5000W generator and a transfer switch. Switch is a kit that comes with cord for generator to recepticle, then switch is prewired for connection to recepticle and my breaker box. It is shieled for external use, I need to put the switch internal and recepticle external. Wires on the switch aren't long enough. Breaker on the recepticle is a 30A. distance is about 10'. Should I rewire with 8guage? 10guage? Do you need more info?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LJR
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005

If I understand correctly, you're asking about the wire size from the transfer switch to the receptacle. Breaker is 30 amps - wire size should be number ten.

If you're asking about wire size from generator to transfer switch. A 5000 watt generator will produce about 22 amps at 240 volts - wire size should be number ten.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LJR
      If I understand correctly, you're asking about the wire size from the transfer switch to the receptacle. Breaker is 30 amps - wire size should be number ten.
      That is what I am asking and that is what I thought. Thanks for the reply.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...