Deck Project Phase 4 (Decking)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PALefty
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 230

    #1

    Deck Project Phase 4 (Decking)

    The joists are up (almost - still have to brace) and decking is right around the corner. I have a few questions to consider and would appreciate input.

    - I am planning on using a hidden fastener system.. and so far, TigerClaw is leading the pack. Does anybody have any personal experience with them?

    - **How do people do the first and last piece.. while avoiding screws on top?

    - Do you notch out the decking for the railing posts or can the notched posts install on top of the decking?

    - Does anybody use construction adhesive in addition to the hidden fasteners?
  • 91FE
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 303
    • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

    #2
    I researched them when doing my deck. I found some info that said they didn't work well with composite decking. IIRC, the trouble had something to do with not being able to straighten warped boards...so the joints ended up being wavy. I decided against using them (or others). Good luck!
    I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

    Comment

    • JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • 5636
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

      #3
      I can't comment on hidden fasteners, never having used them.

      I would NOT use adhesive in addition to fasteners. Decking sometimes does rot or otherwise go bad. You'd want to be able to take up a deck board and replace or repair it.

      I can't quite picture your rail post configuration, but I would say that you generally want your posts mounted to the joists or facia. I'd probably plan to cut in the decking around them, leaving them as strong as possible.

      HTH,
      JR
      JR

      Comment

      • PALefty
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 230

        #4
        Originally posted by JR
        I would NOT use adhesive in addition to fasteners. Decking sometimes does rot or otherwise go bad. You'd want to be able to take up a deck board and replace or repair it.

        I can't quite picture your rail post configuration, but I would say that you generally want your posts mounted to the joists or facia. I'd probably plan to cut in the decking around them, leaving them as strong as possible.
        hmm.. interesting. From reading the various hidden fastener websites.. it seems that the adhesive is pretty common. I shouldn't have the rot with composite though.. and don't plan on living here more than 5 years.

        I will be notching out a 4x4 and bolting it to the outside of my outer joists. I would think cutting the decking would leave them weaker, as the decking would then be unsupported (unless I add some additional bracing).

        Comment

        • gugie
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • 439
          • Redwood City, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

          #5
          What type of decking are you considering? There are several "metal bracket" systems out there that attach to the joists, then you screw from the bottom. If you're not using a hardwood like ipe, that might be the ticket.

          I also read somewhere that using building paper to cover the joists protects from weathering-seems to be a good idea.

          Comment

          • lkazista
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • 330
            • Nazareth, PA, USA.

            #6
            I just put up a deck and used a decking product called "Cross Timbers" They are sold with there own hidden fastners.

            Each decking board has a dado ripped through both sides. So when you put it down you slide this plastic biscuit into one side of the deck board and start to drive the screw, before you finish, you slap the next board in so that the biscuit has a board on each side and then you send the screw home.

            http://www.elkcorp.com/homeowners/pr..._fasteners.cfm

            Decked out a 20x14 deck in about 3 hours, alone.

            Lee

            Comment

            • PALefty
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 230

              #7
              Originally posted by gugie
              What type of decking are you considering? There are several "metal bracket" systems out there that attach to the joists, then you screw from the bottom. If you're not using a hardwood like ipe, that might be the ticket.

              I also read somewhere that using building paper to cover the joists protects from weathering-seems to be a good idea.

              I will be using Evergrain decking. I have looked at many hidden systems (TigerClaw, EB-TY, DeckMaster, FastenMaster, others). So far, I like TC the best. Well, maybe Deckmaster.. but that is more than I want to spend.

              Yes, they also market a product for that purpose by Grace

              Comment

              • PALefty
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 230

                #8
                Originally posted by lkazista
                I just put up a deck and used a decking product called "Cross Timbers" They are sold with there own hidden fastners.
                I have to use Evergrain... association requirement.

                Comment

                • lkazista
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 330
                  • Nazareth, PA, USA.

                  #9
                  Originally posted by PALefty
                  I have to use Evergrain... association requirement.
                  Amazing. How can anybody tell the difference unless they are standing ON your deck?

                  I guess the President of your association must own stock in Evergrain or something.

                  Lee

                  Comment

                  • PALefty
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 230

                    #10
                    Originally posted by lkazista
                    Amazing. How can anybody tell the difference unless they are standing ON your deck?

                    I guess the President of your association must own stock in Evergrain or something.

                    Lee
                    I agree... though I do think it looks pretty nice compared to other composites.

                    Comment

                    • 91FE
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 303
                      • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

                      #11
                      Originally posted by PALefty
                      I agree... though I do think it looks pretty nice compared to other composites.
                      That's what I used on my deck. I love it. Looks much better than most of the others out there.

                      If you're near Philly and your HOA is making you use the "cedar" color... I've got 40 or so brand new 12' long 2X2 balusters. I was going to use them, but shifted gears and went with black alum. Now I'm stuck with them and would be happy to let them go pretty cheap. I also have an extra post trim ring.

                      Scott
                      I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

                      Comment

                      • PALefty
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • 230

                        #12
                        Originally posted by 91FE
                        That's what I used on my deck. I love it. Looks much better than most of the others out there.

                        If you're near Philly and your HOA is making you use the "cedar" color... I've got 40 or so brand new 12' long 2X2 balusters. I was going to use them, but shifted gears and went with black alum. Now I'm stuck with them and would be happy to let them go pretty cheap. I also have an extra post trim ring.

                        Scott
                        Thanks for the offer. I would take you up on it.... but I have to use grey (Evergrain or grey Cabot stain). I am actually going to do a combo.. with only the composite decking. Everything else is going to be pressure treated and stained.

                        Comment

                        Working...