• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Creating a plan to build a deck

Almost the end of July and I have not started on the deck that I had promised my LOML. I bought a deck plan sold at the local home center but I am not sure how detail you have to be when submitting a plan to the association and the town of carpentersville, il. Anybody have any example of a plan that they had submitted to obtain a permit to build a deck. I just need to know what I need to have before obtaining a permit. Greatly appreciate any help on this. I am a first time homeowner but I've help some of my buddies construct a deck before.

Here's a top view of the property:
    Last edited by SHADOWFOX; 01-08-2008, 12:51 AM.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • 91FE
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

They usually want (from bottom to top):

post hole diameter and depth
    post size and spacing
    ledger size and attachment detail
    beam and joist size and spacing
    decking type (some types of composites won't pass in some communities)
    railing post spacing and attachment method,
    bottom rail height,
    baluster spacing,
    top rail height

I'm sure I forgot a thing or two...but HTH
    Last edited by 91FE; 07-25-2006, 12:06 PM.
    I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• Kristofor
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Perhaps the easiest way to:
      A) Find out what they want
      ...and more importantly....
      B) Find out what's required/code

Is simply to ask.

The city I live in has an 8 or 10 page handout with reference values, examples, illustrations, and sample worksheets that cover what's required for a deck permit, fence, or wall over X (3?) feet tall. They actually have a stack of these in the lobby of city hall. There are more restrictions for folks that live in the historic district, but judging by your photo I don't think that's a problem for you.

Of course my city had ~1200 people when I moved in 5 years ago and is pushing 4000 now, with a new 3900 house development approved, so lots of new homes (and decks) are going in all the time.

Previous (older) cities I've lived in have been less detailed, but they've all been willing to say what they need for a permit, and references to the detailed code.

Kristofor.

Comment

• bfrikken
        • Apr 2005
        • Michigan, USA.
        • BT-3100

Here, I've uploaded an updated pic for you. If you notice I did the deck for you. Also added a pool too. Now kick back and have a cold one
        Attached Files

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by 91FE
          I'm sure I forgot a thing or two...but HTH
          Your first born.
          The right to castrate you.
          Naming rights for the rest of the kids.

Just kidding.. well maybe not.

Ask them the requirements, then make yours plans, its easier. Why spend time planning and have to change it.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Yup. Ask first. Gets a lot easier when you do. Plus the inspectors appreciate it when you have taken the time to ask.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• lkazista
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Nazareth, PA, USA.

I actually passed my final today on my new deck.

TWo pages submitted. One a view from a bove showing joist direction and lumber sizes, as well as stair locations, and railings, as well as all footing locations.

The second is a profile drwaing, showing the depth of your footings, height of proposed deck, and handrail height.

That was all I needed (and a check for $76)

Lee

Ofcourse, your local lumberyard would laos draw them up for you if you told them you were going to order your lumber through them. I would recomend using a lumber yard versus HD. The quality of the PT is SOOOOOO much better.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • IL, USA.
                • DELTA 36-675

Lee,

So you did not have to have a plan showing the deck along with the entire Plat of Survey?

I called the village building department and I told them about the deck project and attached is what they sent me:

SUBMITTAL CHECKLIST:
                1. Two copies of an accurate Plat of Survey showing the planned location of the deck, its dimensions and distance to all lot lines. Decks must maintain minimum yard setbacks.
                2. Detailed construction drawings of the deck including any stairs or roof (see "Deck Details" below).
                3. Complete permit application form. If a contractor will install your deck, the name, address and telephone number of the contractor is required on the permit application.

DECK DETAILS: Provide the following construction details:
                1. The overall deck size (show location and size on Plat of Survey).
                2. Floor joist size and spacing.
                3. Decking materials.
                4. Indicatet the height of the deck above grade.
                5. Provide post size and show post locations.
                6. All post must be supported in 8" diameter piers and all piers must be 42" below grade.
                7. Stair details (tread minimum 10" & rise maximum 7 3/4").
                8. If stairs containg three of more risers, concrete piers (see #6 above) are required under each stringer.
                9. Any deck 30" or more above grade must be provided with a minimum 36" high guardrail.
                10. Provide details for handrails & guardrails.

ALLOW AT LEAST 3-5 WORKING DAYS FOR PERMIT REVIEW
                The Village will contact the applicant when the permit is ready or if the plan examiner has any questions.

PERMITS: Decks must be installed in accordance with the Village approved plans and Carpentersville's Code of Ordinances, rules and regulations. Permits are VOID after 6 months.

FEE: $30.00 - payable at the time of permit issuance.

INSPECTIONS: Schedule by calling ###-###-#### at least 24 house in advance.
                Pre-pour - inspections on postholes before puring concrete.
                Final - inspection when complete

There were two pages attached to this fax.
                Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• PALefty
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
                  So you did not have to have a plan showing the deck along with the entire Plat of Survey?
                  I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for... but I had to submit something similar. When I went to the township to get the necessary paperwork, I told them what I was building. They brought up my development using their computer & software... zoomed in on my house number and printed off my plot. I then had to pencil where my deck was to be located and give it back to them along with the other required documentation. It basically showed where my deck fell on my property line.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • IL, USA.
                    • DELTA 36-675

So you think something like this along with the plan I bought at the home center should be sufficient right.. I'll get the measurement on my Plat of Survey tonight and stop by the village building department tomorrow and fill out an application.
                    Chris

Comment

Working...