Clear All
  • buckeye95
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Columbus, Ohio.
    • Ridgid TS2400

Concrete Contractor Question

All,

Have a couple quick questions about a concrete contractor I am planning on hiring to pour our driveway and patio. When we decided to go ahead with this, I checked with a friend who works for a local large home builder, and he suggested a local company they work with a lot. Here are the questions I have:

- The estimate / contract consisted of a hand-drawn sketch of the areas to be poured along with the price on their company letterhead. According to the estimator (the son of the owner), all I need to do is sign the estimate and give them 20 % down to get me on the schedule. I asked a lot of questions, and it turns out they will be putting rebar into the sidewalk and existing garage, putting x inches of base down first, etc. The weird thing is, no where is this stated in the contract. Is this just standard in the concrete business ? My father taught me to be thorough when dealing with home improvement contractors (which I was when our roof and siding were replaced on a insurance claim), so I'm a little bewildered that this hand drawn spec with a price and my initial is a "contract" ?

- When I asked about a warranty, he said there was none. Apparently they were hit hard a few years ago when they did, and people were getting new driveways poured after 2-3 years after some normal "flaking" occured. Does this sound out of place too ?

Normally I would be very wary of this, but this contractor has been in business for years and does do work for at least 2 of the major homebuilders in the area.

Any words of wisdom ?

Regards,

Pete
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Your dad was right, of course. I'd just tell the guy, "hey, can you put down on the contract where you intend to use rebar and stuff. Just so there is no confusion when I do my pre-pour inspection."

On the day the crew shows up, give them a copy of the contract and tell them you need to see their work before any pouring begins.

I'm sure it won't be a problem. If they have been doing concrete that long I'm sure they'll do a nice job.

Comment

• 91FE
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

The no warranty bit would have me a little worried. My only experience is on the professional side as an architect. The owners we represent always get a 12 month warranty from the contractor... for everything. We've made contractors come back to break-up and re-pour concrete that has spalled within the warranty period more than once. Just takes one bad mix and you're screwed.
      I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

A contract does not need to be so detailed you spec the name brand of the nails they use. BUT.. when dealing with blacktop or cement, I would want the following in writing:

1. Excavation requirements, size of the area and depth

2. Depth of the stone base, most places use 2A modified since its packs great. Also depends on where you live.

3. Thickness of the concrete. Driveway should be thicker than a patio.

4. You should get a 1 year warranty on the concrete job. I would seriously consider calling around due to the lack of a warranty. Would you buy a new car without a warranty?

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Make them put it in writing. FROM A BAD EXPIERIENCE!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

They shouldn't have a problem offering a guarantee unless there have been problems with their work. What happens to the 20% if you decide to get someone else? I would have everything in a written contract.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

I think that I would try to find previous customers before I signed anything. Without at least a year's guarantee, I wouldn't do it.
              Good luck.

Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Tequila
                • Aug 2004
                • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I recently got some quotes for concrete work. Every one of them had a statement of work including at a minimum:

Area to be poured
                Gravel thickness
                The word "rebar"
                Concrete thickness
                Relief cut dimensions
                Surface finish detail
                List of customer responsibilities (water for x days)
                Warrantee (90 days was the minimum. one year was the max.)
                -Joe

Comment

• bigsteel15
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Edmonton, AB
                  • Ryobi BT3100

No offence to others but my experience with any concrete work I've ever had done is this:

GO WITH THE PORTUGUESE GUY!!

Seriously though, the guy that did my garage and patio was the only one of 4 quotes I got that was out of the yellow pages. All the others were recommended by friends or co-workers.
                  He was the middle of the pack price-wise. My neighbor who is in house construction said he had never seen a nicer job done.
                  I figured seeing as how the guy was listing as a member of the BBB that if I had a problem I would complain to them.
                  Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                  Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• TheRic
                    • Jun 2004
                    • West Central Ohio
                    • bt3100

Around here, putting rebar in is standard. I know some that don't, but anyone worth their business puts rebar in. I just did my patio about 35' X 35' (colored and stamped) and we poured it 4" thick. I'm thinking driveways and sidewalks are also 4" thick. If you have HEAVY stuff going up and down the driveway then they may bump it up to 6" thick.

You said "...they will be putting rebar into the sidewalk and existing garage.." If I understand you correctly they will be adding rebar to the ends of the garage floor and sidewalk. This helps keep all the concrete a nice even heigth. If you don't attach the rebar to the old concrete the two could shift up/down at slightly different times and heights, making "steps" were you don't want them.

Are they going to seal the patio and driveway? They put 6 coats on my patio. Was told to add sealer every few years. Helps keep the concrete from flaking.

I would get a second & third estimate. For the $$$ your spending it's worth your time, and will allow you to sleep at night.
                    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Rebar, remesh, fibermesh are all options.

Rebar is good for pinning slabs together and for deeper pours.

Remesh is good for stopping slabs from seperating if they crack.

Fibermesh is good to help prevent surface cracking during drying. Claimed to be a replacement for remesh, I use both. Makes the concrete surface look like it needs a shave.

As far as driveways, I would go with 6". Do you have oil deliveries or any other oversized vehicles that deliver to the house??

Comment

• buckeye95
                        Established Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Columbus, Ohio.
                        • Ridgid TS2400

No large size deliveries or other activities that should involve large vehicles, so the 4" is probably sufficient.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Based on the responses, I am looking for some more bids.

Regards,

Pete

Comment

Working...