• Show
Clear All
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

AC Contactor

Well, at about 11PM last night I noticed the house was getting kind of warm. It's been hot for a few days and the AC had been working fine up until that point. I checked to see if the lines had been frozen and that didn't seem to be the issue. The neither the compressor nor its fan seemed to want to kick on (the furnance fan seemed quite content to blow warm air).

So, naturally I hopped on here and did some digging, and based on a previous thread the contactor seemed like a likely cause. I opened up the unit and sure enough the spring actuated part was stuck. I was able to free this up and the house might be dropping below 90 about now, but I'm guessing that this part is likely to stick/fail again.

I'd like to buy a replacement to have ready. It's a Carrier and the particular part number is HN51KB024.

In the past when I've needed parts for a water heater, furnace or the like I've been told they only sell parts to contractors. I would then go through the "Yeah, I work for Kristofor's HVAC. No, we don't have business cards, vans, or corporate purchasing, can I just put this on my personal card?" This is kind of a drag, but the local ACE, Home Depot and the like don't seem to carry parts at this level. Now that I have it working again I can probably wait for mail order, but if any of you have ideas on other types of stores I could check I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Kristofor.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Many times you can just get one from an heating/cooling contractor. They may mark it up a little, but they aren't that expensive to begin with.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

K
      Try Grainger.

I think you'll have to go to one of their outlets in person, but they got everything and they're cheap!!

Bruce
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...