• Show
Clear All
  • Texas splinter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Abilene, TX, USA.
    • BT3100

Another question for the plumbers

We live in a 20 year old double-wide and just had a new septic system installed. the old system had collapsed lines. The old tank was about 50 feet from the house, but the new tanks are close to the house (about 5 feet away) and since the installation of the new system we get a terrible odor of sewer gas out of the plumbing vents on the roof. We never had this odor before.
    I talked to the installer, and he didn't have a clue as to why it would start doing that.
    I have room under the house to install a "J"trap in the 4-inch line. I could fabricate one and install it, but would it cause problems with the toilets?
    I'm thinking that, if it wouldn't cause any problems, the water trapped in the trap would prevent the tanks from venting back thru the house venting system.
    It is sometimes unbearable to be outside on the down wind side of the house.
    "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
    Abilene, Texas
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

Check this website:

Your answer may be half way down the page.
    ________
    Live Sex
    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:11 AM.

Comment

• Texas splinter
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Abilene, TX, USA.
      • BT3100

We have no smell in the house and no drainage problems, those seem to be the problems described in the troubleshooting area of that site.
      Texas law requires two 500 gal tanks, in series, to prevent drainfield clogging from tank sludge. The system was installed between Christmas and New Year's day and has smelled since about mid-January.

Chuck Hershiser
      Abilene, Texas

Comment

• newbie2wood
        Established Member
        • Apr 2004
        • NJ, USA.

Gases are meant to be vented out of the roof. The smell is more common with single story and slab houses. I can't tell you why the problem suddenly developed with the new septic. However, if you can't figure out the source or cause of the smell, you may want to get a carbon filter for the vent (one brand is SweetFilter).
        ________
        Sherri_Moon live
        Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Crash2510
          • Feb 2006
          • North Central Ohio

If there were not traps installed you will have gas back up into the system.
          Furthermore roof vents are more for proper drainage and breathing than venting off gas. If they didn't install traps they should have. If I were you I would install traps to deal with the gas.
          Phil In Ohio
          The basement woodworker

Comment

• Texas splinter
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Abilene, TX, USA.
            • BT3100

I think that it just started because with the old system, the line from the house to the tank had a "dip" in it and held water all the time, thus forming a water trap for the gasses from the tank. When they dug up the old line, they got about 10 gallons of water from the line, before the tank. The new tanks are righe out from the house, so there is nothing to stop the gasses from venting back to the house.

Chuck Hershiser
            Abilene, Texas

Comment

Working...