• Show
Clear All
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

paint fence?

F.I.L. has about 600 feet of plank fence that needs painting. Nobody rents airless sprayers around here. I DO NOT want to brush it on. Any ideas? What are some other options?
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I know the Wagner sprayers get alot of bad press, but I've been pretty pleased with mine for "bulk" projects where a few drips and dribbles don't matter.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

A roller if you don't want to brush. Get an 18" one and trim the grass along the fence down to dirt.

I used a Wagner to spray stain on 3000sqft of privacy fence. I wasn't supposed to be able to spray the stain but it worked like a champ.

A few tips - the plastic hose to pull the paint from the can is useless and is a PITA to clean anyway. Plan on using the paint cup. Slower but it works. Make sure the paint is the proper viscosity. Conditioner may help with some paints. For cleaning I learned the best way is after you spray water through and it comes out clean, dunk the parts (except the motor) in a bucket of water and walk away. Come back in an hour or so and all the paint is gone.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• mschrank
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Hood River, OR, USA.
        • BT3000

I was going to suggest a cheap Wagner power painter when I first read your post, but feared the retaliation

Now that two others have mentioned, I'll just add that this is the perfect application for one. Outside fences and interior "popcorn" texture ceilings are perfectly suited for the Wagner.

OTOH, if you try to use for more of a "fine" paint job on doors, furniture, etc, be prepared the plug the kids ears before you start! These things have a way of causing spontaneous strings of foul language...DAMHIK
        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Tundra_Man
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've seen people use the plastic air-pressure sprayers (i.e. weed sprayers) for shooting deck stain. Don't see why it wouldn't work for paint, although it may go on a hair thick (one coat coverage!).

For any form of spraying, you probably want to hang a piece of plastic across the back side of the section of fence you're working on, otherwise you may have a stripped lawn where the paint shoots through the slats.
          Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• messmaker
            Veteran Member
            • May 2004
            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
            • Ridgid 2424

You guys are making my day. I have a Power painter I used on my outbuilding with stain and it did fine but I was not so sure on the fence.

Comment

• DaveS
              • May 2003
              • Minneapolis,MN

600 feet??? With a wagner power painter? Wow... that makes me a little light headed just thinking about that.

If it were me - I'd go to a local rental center, rent one of the big maama-jamma power painters for a day and just knock it out. It'll be the best $75 you ever spent.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I have the 2 qt HVLP rig from HF. A lot of refilling, but it goes fast. Hint, rig some sort of stand for the cup. It gets heavy after a while.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by DaveS
                  600 feet??? With a wagner power painter? Wow... that makes me a little light headed just thinking about that.
                  I painted 500 ft of 6' privacy fence with a Wagner. Or rather I painted both sides of a 250' fence. Worked well - a whole lot better than rolling or a pump sprayer did.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by DaveS

If it were me - I'd go to a local rental center, rent one of the big maama-jamma power painters for a day and just knock it out. It'll be the best $75 you ever spent.

I tried six rental outfits and all told me the same. "We no longer rent airless sprayers because nobody cleans them properly and once the paint sets up, it's toast"

Comment

• Rayclav
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2005
                      • BC, Canada.
                      • Craftsman 10 inch

I have successfully used the type of paint sprayer that can be attached to the end of the hose of the vacuum cleaner. It won't do a pretty job such as you would require on most furniture projects, but it will be satisfactory.

I don't know where you would purchase one but a vacuum cleaner store may be a good place to start. They are cheap and efficient and there isn't a lot of overspray, and the spray control is by finger tip.

R

Comment

• jhart
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

I have a Wagner 2 speed power painter that worked very well on a fence I was painting. The slower speed worked well for limiting the overspray, but did make the job a little slower.

It was a heavy duty version I got a HD a couple of years ago. Can shoot Latex as well as stain, using various tips. Cost about $100.00 at that time.
                        Joe
                        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• sacherjj
                          Not Your Average Joe
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I just picked up a Wagner for the siding and trim on the shed I'm putting up. They have some rebates going on at HD. The $99 after rebate has 4 speeds and a backpack attachment for large jobs. Not sure how well it works, I've just played with the ultrasonic distance meter on it, to help with keeping the same distance away.
                          Joe Sacher

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Change your name

To Mr Miyagi!

Then get some kid, paint the fence, UP, down, up down.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Mar 2004
                              • Northern NJ, USA.
                              • BT3100

no, no, not Myagi, but .....

what you do is to get into a challenge with all your buds and dare them to paint the fence better than you. Then sit back and let em at it. There's a book with instructions on this very same topic by Mr. Twain.

curt j.
                              A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

Working...