• Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Kitchen Flooring

Hi,
    6 year old kitchen flooring looks like it is 25 years old. It is standard builders grade vinyl flooring, 1 layer over wood subflooring (assume OSB).
    I need suggestions on how to remedy this issue.
    More vinyl over the old? Linoleum tiles that stick to the existing floor? What about the tile that is 3 up on the boards that install like laminate flooring (I believe that to be a bad idea as once water hits that stuff its done).
    I really don't want to rip the old stuff up but I certainly can.
  • jAngiel
    • Oct 2003
    • Ryobi BT3100

If it is still intact you could screw some concrete backerboard down on top of it and then install some ceramic tile.
    James

Comment

• rickd
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
      Hi,
      6 year old kitchen flooring looks like it is 25 years old. It is standard builders grade vinyl flooring, 1 layer over wood subflooring (assume OSB).
      More vinyl over the old? Linoleum tiles that stick to the existing floor? What about the tile that is 3 up on the boards that install like laminate flooring ......
      hi jeffrey,

i'm in the same situation you are and i have been debating what to do for the past 2 or 3 months. originally, i was going to do exactly what was suggested in the previous post - screw cement backerboard to the floor and install ceramic tiles. however, the more i looked into that option, the more problems surfaced. it just seemed that unless you are installing ceramic tiles on a cement floor, or a sub-floor built to support ceramic tile, no one can guarantee the tiles won't eventually crack from the 'bounce'.

so, we've changed our mind and we are going to remove the old vinyl, it isn't that difficult once you get started, and have a high-quality vinyl replacement installed - one that looks a bit like ceramic tiles.
      rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Self stick tiles will stick well, assuming the current flooring is installed properly. You can take up the old flooring or much quicker to put down new 1/4" or 3/8" underlayment.

Quickest and easiest is a floating laminate floor that will go over the existing floor. We have laminate flooring in our living room/hall. With 2 dogs and a toddler water/milk/etc gets on it every day. I just wipe it up and the floor still looks fine. My sister has one in her kitchen she installed over a year ago and it still looks fine. Water can get on it, you just can't leave it there. If you are concerned, high risk areas such as around the sink and in front of doorways can have the edges sealed during install. I've also heard of people using mats to help protect the floor. You can get a laminate that looks like tile.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• PALefty
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
          Hi,
          More vinyl over the old? Linoleum tiles that stick to the existing floor? What about the tile that is 3 up on the boards that install like laminate flooring (I believe that to be a bad idea as once water hits that stuff its done).
          I really don't want to rip the old stuff up but I certainly can.
          I just installed laminate in my kitchen... so I don't have any long term data for you. I think it looks great.. but it does worry me a bit. Besides water.. I am also afraid of dropping anything. In my next place, I would probably go for tile to give me an extra piece of mind. That being said, I think it is a pretty simple way to spruce things up. I ended up tearing out my existing vinyl because the kitchen was a different height than my dining room. I wanted the laminate to flow without any step up. Otherwise, I would actually prefer to put the laminate right on the vinyl. I think it would provide a flatter/slicker surface to let it 'float' better.

If you go the tile route... I recommend checking into the forum on johnbridge.com. Lots of information there on tile. I don't believe any pros there would recommend tiling over the vinyl. It will not last (from what I have read). They also have a deflection calculator on their site that will let you know if you need more plywood subfloor before you tile.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

I am looking for relatively quick, relatively cheap fix so I would rather skip the tile. I like laminate everywhere except kitchen or bathroom. One dishwasher line, icemaker line, water supply line burst and this stuff is done.

Tile seems like too much work with a lot of potential down side. I think I have pretty much ruled that out.

So you guys think the stick down tile stay in place ok? Are the ok to clean, ie no problems with all those seems?

Other option is installing real hardwood flooring which I want to do in the whole house anyway. Saw Lowes had a huge shipment on Bruce Pre-Finished Oak on sale marked down from $4 sq ft to $3 sq ft. I would have to reset base cabinets with that option right?
            Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 05-16-2006, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• jziegler
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Salem, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

The self-adhesive tile should be OK. I have some in the basement, under much less than ideal conditions, and the really, really cheap stuff and have few complaints. My parents did some in a couple rooms and it looks very good. You might also look into some of the higher end glue down vinyl (I'm sorry, resilient) floors from Mannington and Congoleum and the like. Some really look like stone or ceramic, Mannington has some wood look planks too. Looks pretty good. One of the stone look ones is what I plan to have installed to replace the 70's brick look sheet vinyl in my kitchen.

Before you buy the Bruce at Lowes, you might want to check a flooring store. My parents looked at that and went to a flooring store, got a higher quality product at the flooring store for only a little more money.

Jim

Comment

• jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

If you go with the stick down tiles, make sure you buy a few extra as eventually a couple will come loose. They are easy to replace with a heat gun to warm them up.
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

The stick down ones are nice. I removed a flagstone entry that was in bad shape, added a layer of plywood and installed them at my parents house. Its been 2 years and it looks good yet. Its the main entry into the house plus a medium sized dog running around. Buy extra, you never know when they will discontinue a color.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                    The stick down ones are nice. I removed a flagstone entry that was in bad shape, added a layer of plywood and installed them at my parents house. Its been 2 years and it looks good yet. Its the main entry into the house plus a medium sized dog running around. Buy extra, you never know when they will discontinue a color.
                    I got some from Lowes this afternoon. I like the fact that the ones I got are beveled on the edges and look like morter joints. I am glad to hear that they hold up. I went with a stone type look that is much darker than the old contractor crap that we in here so it shouldn't show wear as quickly.
                    Now to replace all that stupid builders grade berber in the house!

Comment

• ivwshane
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Sacramento CA

I've got stick down tiles (12x12) in my kitchen and bathrooms and I must say they look horrible!

I don't know how long ago it was installed (at least three years ago though) but some of them have moved and the seems have split.

If you want something easy but looks decent I would go with some sort of hardwood flooring (real wood or laminate).

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

A few reasons these are nice..

1. You can replace a damaged one easily.
                        2. They are cheap compaired to other flooring. I think that 6'x18' area cost $70 or $90 in materials. For that cheap, you could replace them every 3 years and still have money left over compaired to a pro install of vinyl flooring over its lifetime.

A few hints for installing..

1. Do a dry run laying them out to figure out what the best setup will be.
                        2. Make sure you keep the first course exactly square to your area. Snap chaulk lines, etc.
                        3. Make sure the plywood/etc is completely dust free.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

Ok, so I am have all the tiles installed that do not need to be cut. The LOML is very happy this them. I am concerned about dirt build up in the beveled edges of this type of stick down. I am also concerned about ivwshane's review, but hopefully those are very old.
                          I'll post a photo when I am finished.

Oh, ya installation was a breeze. No chaulk lines or anything, as the prior flooring was best grid you could ask for!

Comment

Working...