Clear All
  • buckeye95
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Columbus, Ohio.
    • Ridgid TS2400

Prepping Stained Stair Stringers for Painting

All,

I am getting prepared to paint our stair stringers white as part of a remodel. The current stringers are (I believe) Pine and are stained as shown in the picture below. What is the best way to do this ? I assume I should not just prime or paint right over the existing stain. Should it be sanded, then primed, and finally painted ? Additionally, after painting, should I seal it with some sort of clear acrylic finish to protect it ? Thanks in advance for any advice (my wife is excited about this and I don't want to screw it up !).

Pete
    Buckeye95
    Attached Files
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

You can just prime and paint. All the moulding in my house is stained pine. It is an ongoing project to paint. Just get a good primer - kilz or zinzer.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jziegler
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Salem, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Prime and paint should be fine, although a light sanding may help the paint to adhere better. Clear finish is probably not needed if you choose a good paint for the top coat, some kind of enamel is probably best, so companies (Sherwin Williams, for example) make specific floor enamels, but they tend to be high gloss finishes.

Jim

Comment

• Stormbringer
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Floral Park, NY
        • Bosch 4000

Been there, done that...just a few months ago as a matter of fact.

I use Zinzer oil based primer. More $$$ but dries fast and makes an EXCELLENT undercoat.

Regards,
        Greg

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii
          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Prime & paint is OK. Sanding lightly b4 priming does help. Go with the zinsser primers & top coat with the zinsser Kit & Bath paint, can be tinted to your color. For a smooth finish use painting pads.

Comment

Working...