• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

weed wacker repair

Last week, my old Craftsman weedwacker broke, pull the starter cord and nothing - felt much different, wasn't even trying to turn over. So, I took it apart to find the starter pulley had broken. I got a replacement part and (after spending a long time rewinding the spring) attempted to put it back together. This attempting to put it back together went on for quite a while. For some unknown reason, I can get it about 1/2" from being back together, but can't get any further. I've tried turning the starter pulley to get a better fit with the motor assembly, but no luck. Any tips or ideas??

Thanks in advance.
    Bill
  • jAngiel
    • Oct 2003
    • Ryobi BT3100

I would buy a new one. When mine goes out (still going strong) that is what I plan on doing, of course I've had it some 12+ years so I think I've gotten my moneys worth. I've never even changed the spark plug on it.
    James

Comment

• Crash2510
      • Feb 2006
      • North Central Ohio

dad throws ours into the field once or twice a year we get a new one which translates to every few years approx 50 dollars
      Phil In Ohio
      The basement woodworker

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

You are saying you can't get the spring back on or you can't get it reassembled?
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

I can't get it reassembled. I tried again last night and wasn't able to get it back together, however I did accomplish a lot of troubleshooting and I'm 99% sure that the problem lies with the flexible driveshaft-type thing that spins the business end of the weedwacker. It won't go far enough in to allow the motor to seat, it is easily pulled out so it looks like it has become disconnected from the other end. It was getting late, so I stopped working on it. I'm not sure if it is easy or hard to get the other end of the shaft seated.
          Bill

Comment

• messmaker
            Veteran Member
            • May 2004
            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
            • Ridgid 2424

That is a pain in the %$# job. It is almost an art form. I would go get a new one before your frustration builds.
            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Hummm...... What happens if you disconnect the business end, pull the drive shaft through, insert into the business end, then put the business end back on? then you should be able to reinstall the motor. Other than that I'd swallow my pride and take it somewhere to get it put back together but that might cost as much as a new one.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• kramer katt
                Established Member
                • Aug 2004
                • SO CAL, USA
                • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

While I still con't get used to all the throw aways we deal with today, you might be interested in the fact that most Sears stores have several models on sale and even better some discontinueds/returns on "closeout" at great prices.
                BTW this is no endorsement of Sears althought the weed trimmers seem to be made all by reputable manufacturers, ie Poulan, Weedwacker
                kk
                Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...