• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Raising a deck?

I had to replace my old above the ground swimming pool. Problem is the old pool was 48" tall and the new one is 54" tall. My deck is approximately 8' x 12' and about 3' off the ground. It has 8-support posts. I bought some new 4x4 posts and was going to one-by-one replace the support posts. I have found I can easily raise the deck with my floor jack but it's still going to br a huge project to remove/re-apply the fasteners.

Any other suggestions for raising the deck?

Thanks,

Mike
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Alternative

Dig a hole?
    To do is to be.

Comment

• ScottAult
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • Manassas, VA, USA.
      • BT3100

Cement footers?
      If you are replacing the posts, I'm guessing that they are just sitting on the ground. You can buy footers that raise it 6" or pour some of your own.
      Scott Ault

Most people are average.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

How are the posts set? Bolted to cement footers or cemented into the ground?

If bolted to top, you can get some sonotube and easily pour footers that will rais it the required height. I'd drill some rebar into the old footer to tie things together. If the posts are in the cement, you'd have to cut the post at ground level before pouring the new footer.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• MBG
          • Apr 2003
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by crokett
          How are the posts set? Bolted to cement footers or cemented into the ground?
          They are bolted to cement footers with steel 4x4 brackets. I was just going to add a cement block but my wife won't allow the aesthetics of this fix.

Guess in the back of my mind I know the best way is to replace the posts but just thought there may be an easier alternative.

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

You will have to be carefull jacking a whole deck up, should have multiple jacks to bring it up level. Plus make sure you use twice as many temp braces as you need, don't want to read an article in the paper thats topic is "Homeowner squashed by deck".

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

A cement pillar is a lot different from a cement block. Also, you can color the cement any color you want, or add river rock to the outside or make some nice red brick footers. Be creative. I would. Its a durn sight easier than replacing all those posts.

Remember, to change her mind ya gotta change her feelings.... Simply telling her it is quicker and cheaper than replacing the posts t'wont work. That is too logical.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

You can buy prefab post supports that are for 4x4 post. I think they are about 1' tall so you would have to bury them a bit.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
                  Remember, to change her mind ya gotta change her feelings.... Simply telling her it is quicker and cheaper than replacing the posts t'wont work. That is too logical.
                  Ya, through the word faux in there too. Like "We can build up the concrete pillars to create a solid base for one of your marvelous faux finishes".

Comment

• pierhogunn
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

can you not hide the less desirable fix with some sort of Deck Surround, lattice perhaps covered in one of her favorite climing vines, or something like Jasmine... ( tell her you could boost the privacy of the deck this way) and if she says something like she needs to have a clear visual shot at the deck, offer to install several night-vision capable web-cams and hook it up to a computer in the house.

As a side note, all CCD cameras are capable of being turned into near-ir cameras that can use the infrared LED's from Ratshack as the light source, if there is interest I can post a simpe how-to
                    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• lkazista
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Nazareth, PA, USA.

What no ledger board to deal with?!

Is this deck not attached to your house?

What about leaving your framing alone, and just adding another layer of joists? Run some 2x6 in the opposite direction of your existing joists, and then just redeck over top. This way you do not have to deal with the supports.

Eaither way, have fun making those new stairs!

Comment

Working...