• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Fly "Blower"?

Ok, so there is one disadvantage to living in middle of a 200 acre farm and that's flys. We have a lot of issues with flys in central PA due to all the farming. Some of the local stores have these high volume fans that blow pretty briskly when you walk into the store. Is there any residential version of this? Anyone have any suggestions of flys? Though we don;t have a lot right now they are awefully agressive.
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

There's always flypaper! I think you can also buy (or make) flytraps, with funnels leading flies into a compartment with a bait, from which they have trouble figuring out how to leave. Then, one could encourage fly predators . . . flycatchers? And then there are political solutions, as in regulations discouraging the conditions that allow fly production. These conditions typically have other environmental consequences (like water and groundwater pollution, noxious odors, etc.), so you'd be solving a lot of problems at once.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Jeffrey,
      I recommend the gizmo we bought last year. It's basically a plastic bag with an inverted funnel like top that you hang away from the house. It comes with some powder that you mix with a bit of your native soil and water. This stuff stinks like 10 roadkill possums with a dozen ticked of skunks! But, it works. It's the first we've used that has. Here's one source:

We live across the road from a pasture with about 40 cows and were infested with flys until using this. I will be ordering another one or 2 soon since it's warming up.
      ken
      Last edited by Ken Massingale; 04-26-2006, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by dlminehart
        And then there are political solutions, as in regulations discouraging the conditions that allow fly production. These conditions typically have other environmental consequences (like water and groundwater pollution, noxious odors, etc.), so you'd be solving a lot of problems at once.
        Can't stop farming in Central PA. And a lot of it is organic. Dairy farms generate poop and poop brings flys. Farming is highly regulated in the area (father in law was farmer for 40 years) just those organic fertilizers are nasty smelling and bring flys as well.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
          Jeffrey,
          I recommend the gizmo we bought last year. It's basically a plastic bag with an inverted funnel like top that you hang away from the house. It comes with some powder that you mix with a bit of your native soil and water. This stuff stinks like 10 roadkill possums with a dozen ticked of skunks! But, it works. It's the first we've used that has. Here's one source:

We live across the road from a pasture with about 40 cows and were infested with flys until using this. I will be ordering another one or 2 soon since it's warming up.
          ken
          Wow and you can't beat the price. I am glad to hear that such a simple solutions works. I think I will get a couple and put one on each corner of the yard that neighbors the fields. Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

• Crash2510
            • Feb 2006
            • North Central Ohio

make sure that these things don't stay too close to your house and the wind doesn't blow toward your house because they really really begin to stink

also don't forget to keep the water level up
            Phil In Ohio
            The basement woodworker

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Glad to see a couple of you have this traps. Do you recommend 1 or 2?

Comment

• DaveW
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • So Cal.

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                This stuff stinks like 10 roadkill possums with a dozen ticked of skunks! But, it works.
                LOL! Thanks for the friday laugh (I don't doubt that it's potent, but that's just a hilarious description!)

Comment

Working...