• crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I know there's no correct answer

but gonna ask anyway.

Current situation:
    95 Pontiac Vibe, just completed 1st yr of 3yr interest free loan, ~33 mpg, daily driver, kid hauler
    98 Nissan Pathfiner, paid for , ~18MPG, daily driver, kid hauler, util trailer hauler

I posted that previously that a friend wants to give me a 95 Dodge Dakota sport. I can haul anything with it that I can haul with the trailer, so I would sell the trailer which would cover the 1st yr of taxes, tags, inspection, etc. Supercab, so could be a kid hauler but is not as comfortable, convenient or safe as the Pathy. It will cost another 18 bucks a month to insure - trailer is free. Gas would be even-steven since I either drive it or the pathy+trailer. I figure a V8 is rough equiv to a V6+trailer. Most weekends I seem to be hauling stuff and this is more convenient than dragging a trailer and keeps miles off the Pathy. It would also be a 3rd car if one of the other 2 needs to go to the shop.

Eventually the Pathy will be replaced by a minivan. I'd rather not use the van to drag a trailer around but could. With a truck, do not need to worry about that. Current thinking is take the truck, sell the trailer, drive the Pathy till the Vibe is paid off (and hopefully some after that) then get a van.

Am I missing anything?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

95 Vibe?

I assume you meant a 2005 Vibe.

Anyhoo... I picked up a 2003 Town and Country Minivan last year for $12,000. The thing easily accepts 4 x 8 sheets of whatever. I made a 'tray liner' for it as well, just a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood, with some 2 x 4 sides all the way around. This way when I need to 'haul' stuff I just drop in the base to protect the carpet. When I need to fit the family, the seats pop back in.

As far as trailers go, i very RARELY need this, so I generally just 'borrow' something with a hitch from a buddy.

I know this does not quite answer your question, but I know that I did NOT want a minivan, but I now have no idea how I ever got along before it.

BTW - airbags galore, lots of safety features (no 4 wheel drive), and even juice box holders in the back for kids.

22 mpg, cheapest vehicle I have ever insured.

Lee

Comment

• gtokarski
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2005
      • Dublin, CA USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by lkazista
      The thing easily accepts 4 x 8 sheets of whatever. I made a 'tray liner' for it as well, just a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood, with some 2 x 4 sides all the way around.Lee
      just to make clear, 4x8 sheets lay flat, at an angle or vertically?

Comment

• lkazista
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Originally posted by gtokarski
        just to make clear, 4x8 sheets lay flat, at an angle or vertically?
        I can actually fit 49.5 inches across and 8 feet deep, flat. I can also fit a 10 foot step ladder as well by going between the front seats.

My buddy owns a short bed pick up truck, and borrows my van for sheetrock hauling.

Lee

Comment

• offthemark
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Germantown, TN, USA.
          • BT3100

Almost all medium size vans (Ford Freestar, Dodge Caravan, etc.) are specifically designed to lay a 4x8 sheet in the rear with the seats either folded or removed. There won't be much clearance, but it will most likely fit. Turns out the designers are doing a little thinking.
          Mark
          --------
          "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• jziegler
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Salem, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by offthemark
            Almost all medium size vans (Ford Freestar, Dodge Caravan, etc.) are specifically designed to lay a 4x8 sheet in the rear with the seats either folded or removed. There won't be much clearance, but it will most likely fit. Turns out the designers are doing a little thinking.
            Is this a recent thing? My parents have had a couple vans (late 80s caravan and 2001(I think) windstar). In both cases, the 4x8 sheet doesn't fit completly. The old caravan was maybe a foot too short. With the windstar, it's only a couple of inches. It's just enough that doing anything other than a short trip with a few sheets in back isn't a great idea. Of course, it doesn't stop me from borrowing the van, or getting my dad to visit, when I need some sheetgoods.

-Jim

Comment

• gmack5
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

I have a '96 Town & Country LXI that will haul 4 X 8 sheets, flat, with the two back seats yanked out.

The only problem is those seats are darn HEAVY! Takes two people to remove them and re-install them after I get done hauling Sheet Goods.

I also have a 16' X 8' Utility Trailer that will haul quite a bit of wood, if the need arises (3500# capacity).
              Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
              Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
              George

Comment

• DaveW
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • So Cal.

Interesting - I have a 2005 Town and Country (long wheel base since it's got the stow-n-go seats) but a 4x8 won't fit in there - it's a shade too narrow (47"?) and not long enough (I don't remember the exact length, but I want to say it's a foot short). I end up having to cut the sheet length-wise and sliding it between the front seats.

(don't get me wrong - I love how this thing hauls just about everything I need).

And I love the stow-n-go seats - much nicer than pulling out seats.

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by gmack5
                  I have a '96 Town & Country LXI that will haul 4 X 8 sheets, flat, with the two back seats yanked out.

The only problem is those seats are darn HEAVY! Takes two people to remove them and re-install them after I get done hauling Sheet Goods.

I also have a 16' X 8' Utility Trailer that will haul quite a bit of wood, if the need arises (3500# capacity).
                  What, the sheet goods aren't heavy enough that you need a hand with them too? Sure, the 1/4" stuff is pretty easy, but a 3/4" sheet is a bit much for me, and forget MDF. Just the weight of the 3/4" ply might be ok, but it's too awkward.

Of course, I agree, help usually is needed with the seats too.

-Jim

Comment

• lkazista
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Originally posted by DaveW
                    Interesting - I have a 2005 Town and Country (long wheel base since it's got the stow-n-go seats) but a 4x8 won't fit in there - it's a shade too narrow (47"?) and not long enough (I don't remember the exact length, but I want to say it's a foot short). I end up having to cut the sheet length-wise and sliding it between the front seats.

(don't get me wrong - I love how this thing hauls just about everything I need).

And I love the stow-n-go seats - much nicer than pulling out seats.
                    That is shocking to me. Mine is a 2003, no sto-n-go, but the salesman demo'd a 2005 for me with a 1/4 inch piece of hardboard, I wonder if he had it cut down to 47 inches for the demo.

Anyhoo, the 2003 allows it to fit like a champ.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Montgomery, AL.
                      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I had a '92 Dakota Extended Cab with the Magnum V-8. Drove horribly (had to drive to the airport to turn the thing aroung), and the gas mileage sucked! Literally! I could turn the thing on and hear the gas going into the intake. I was lucky to get 12.5 to 13 mpg in the city, with nothing in the truck but my fat hindquarters. You'd probably be better of keeping the Nissan. Just my $.02 worth.
                      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• gtokarski
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Dublin, CA USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by offthemark
                        hmm, I'll have to investigate this further. Minivans always seemed a bit tooo narrow. I did just run across a cheap beater toyota pickup that is going to be my sheetgoods/engine/etc hauler for the time being.

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have 1990 Chevy Lumina APV. It is a great minivan and still works like a champ but you cannot fit a full sheet into it. 4' will fit accross but not at the floor level (it gets narrower towards floor), so you have to keep seets and fold them down. 8' is too long unless you can fit between front seats. I want to see those thinking designers.
                          Alex V

Comment

Working...