• Show
Clear All
  • mbucci
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2004
    • Prairieville, LA.

Range Vent Hood

Hi guys,

I have a predicament here. I currently have a vent hood over my range of the type which just filters the air and recirculates it back into the air. It isn't very effective and essentially just circulates smoke around the house. I would like to install a vent hood which actually vents to the outside.

I have seen it where people would go through the cabinets directly over the vent hood and go out through the ceiling, however, in my case, the vent tube would be visible because the area over my cabinets is open.

I also thought about venting to the outside through the wall behind the vent hood, however, in my case that would be in the garage.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas? Is it possible to run ductwork for a vent hood through a wall? Any help would be appreciated.
    Mark
  • kramer katt
    Established Member
    • Aug 2004
    • SO CAL, USA
    • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

Mark,
    Rectangular ducts that would fit in a stud bay (3-1/2''x14'') are available but you would still need to get thru the top plates. The bigger problem here is not to compromise the fire protection between the house and garage.
    I would suggest running straight up to attic/roof and installing some kind of decorative cover over the vent pipe. Maybe stainless steel or wood which ever might match your kitchen style better. There are also some high end hoods which have there own vent stack mostly in the modern high tech look. That would be another choice if fits your style and/or budget.
    kk
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

• JeremyM
      Established Member
      • May 2004

kramer katt is right,

Vent through your ceiling. Just pretty up your stack. But also think where you are going to run once you get through your ceiling. Maybe you can run straight up and out the roof. Maybe not.

Comment

• lkazista
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Another option is to remove the cabinet over the cooktop, and replace it with a full hood. You can purchase one that has a decrotive, matching vent that will run all the way up to your ceiling. This option is certainly the most expensive solution, but also the most effective way to move the smoke/grease ( I say that because only the higher end units are made in this way).

Like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1055398

Good luck,

Lee

Comment

Working...