• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rg32
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Barre, Vermont, USA.

floor finish

I’m in the process of finishing my natural softwood random width floors.
    The local painters don’t have much good to say about it but anyway.
    Has anybody had any experiences using the Minwax Water Based Polyurethane for Floors?
  • dxcoded
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2003
    • nashville, TN, USA.
    • ridgid ts3612

I just finished my white oak hardwood floors with that. I have been very displeased with it. It is already flaking off in some areas. I have two de-clawed cats and a dog, and I could understand some areas where it could come off due to the traffic, but there are so many areas where I will have to re sand and apply another coat of this stuff to see if I can't stop what is happening. I honestly followed the directions on how to apply and drying times and I feel I am going to have to do more work again just to make these areas look good again! Try a different brand than this, that is of course my opinion. So please take it for what it is worth!
    eric may

Comment

• jziegler
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Salem, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Personally, I feel that this is one of the few areas that an oil-based poly is a good idea. Floors, kitchens, and baths. Realize that I haven't used the water based, but have used the oil. I used Minwax fast drying satin poly on the floor I refinished last spring. It turned out very well.

The water based poly is not quite as durable as the oil. It isn't as water resistant. Even Minwax will tell you some of that. Yes, the oil stinks like crazy. It is a pain to clean up the tools. But, for a floor, I feel that the results make it worthwhile.

As an interesting alternative, look at http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/flooring%201.html

They make a case that oil polishing floors has some advantages. If all of the other floors in my house didn't have the poly, I would consider it.

-Jim

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Last August I ripped up carpets, and refinished roughly 2000 sq ft of hardwood floor in my new house. I thought about using water-based finish, but a bit of research quickly dissuaded me. Instead, I used the oil-based 'super-fast drying polyurethane for floors' - and so far, no problems, even heavy traffic areas are fine.

Comment

• dxcoded
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2003
          • nashville, TN, USA.
          • ridgid ts3612

so I have a question.... since I have the coats of water based poly on the floor can I do a light sanding and put a coat of oil based on top? These floors every time I look at them another place I find peeling and would like to be able to not have to start again. Does anyone know if this is possible?

thanks
          eric may

Comment

• rg32
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Barre, Vermont, USA.

Hi Eric
            I have no answer..
            Just a suggestion
            Depending on the brand you used (Minwax or another) I'd give there customer service a call.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

You can put water based over oil but I don't think you can put oil based over water based. You could try it in a small area.

I like water based for floors. I refinished the kitchen after the oil based poly installed by the professional wore through quickly. The water based I put down is holding up well. I used Minwax. A big advantage is the lack of odor when you are working in a finished house. Others are the quick drying time and durability. Water based dries to recoat in a couple hours or less but does not fully dry for about a week. You need to avoid heavy use until it's fully cured but if you do that, I think it is at least as durable as oil based.

Jim

Comment

• Jan
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2004

floor finish

Eric,

If that waterbase is is coming up you're going to have to sand it all off. It'll keep peeling no matter what you put over it.

Jan

Comment

• Jan
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2004

soft wood

Rg32,

For soft wood you should look into Waterlox finishes. They make tung oil based sealer and floor finish. It's slow drying but easy to use and nothing brings out the natural beauty of soft woods better than Waterlox.

Jan

Comment

Working...