Clear All
  • buckeye95
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Columbus, Ohio.
    • Ridgid TS2400

Molding Gap Filler Question

All,

I have been in the process of replacing all of the base / casing molding in my house with painted (white) wood molding. Once I have completed a room, I go around to all of the gaps in the casing miter joints and base scarf / cope joints and fill in with "Elmer's Professional Wood Filler", then sand once dry and touch up with paint. The problem is that several weeks later the filler in these gaps is starting to crack. I asked at HD, and the guy there did not know of what else to try. I thought about caulk, but that tends to not end up flat on the joint and cannot be sanded. There must be some product or technique I am missing here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Pete
    Buckeye95
  • beetee3
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • The Sunshine State

First of all apply a primer to the joints before filling, otherwise the filler is likely to dry out before curing and won't bond to the substrate. Plain old spackling compound should work fine as a filler.

When installing trim, I like to use an adhesive caulk (Polyseamseal "all-purpose adhesive caulk") to glue the trim into place in addition to using finish nails. " I think this helps to control the wood movement and it definitely helps fill the inevitable small gaps. Clean up any squeeze out immediately before it sets up.

Comment

• rg32
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Barre, Vermont, USA.

It might depend on how big the gap your trying to fill, but as mentioned spackling compound should work fine. I've been using it for years - a spackling compound made by "Custom Buildings Products" it sets up fast, sands easy and has no shinkage.

Comment

• 91FE
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

I've used painters caulk on minor imperfections in the past. Works great. How big of a gap are we talking about.
        I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Also found the spackle works well. Quick and easy to use. Very little sanding needed if you use your finger to fill the hole and smooth it out.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Greg.B
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Joppa, Maryland
            • Ryobi BT3100

White caulk is what I use. I bought one of those $2.99 tools that make it super smooth. Looks great.
            Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

Working...