X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodwerker
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005

Need Some Help

Guys, The Wife and I purchased a Jenn Air stove with Down Draft.
    I want to install the down draft but I do not have a vent currently.
    The wall that the stove backs up to is the original outer perimeter wall for the home. The prior owner added an enclosed sunroom that now sits behind the wall from the kitchen. So if I drill through the wall behind the stove I will be able to access the sunroom. Could I vent the down draft into the sunroom, or is that a no no. We don't use the sunroom much and if we wanted, we could open the doors to allow air to circulate. Sorry if the description is confusing.
    The wall is 2x4 not 2x6 studs so I can't run a vent to the roof without alot of work.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Joe
    Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

I don't know how the fire or building codes think about this, but I do know that you will probably be sorry if you vent that greasy smoke into your sunroom, in that upholstery, carpet, drapery, etc will be discolored. You will probably have to clean your window glass often, as well.
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• lkazista
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Basement?

How was your old stove vented?

I would say that if you cook a lot, you should try and get the vent into the basement, and then to an exterior wall, with metal duct all the way ofcourse.

OR

See if you can't just make the cooktop a 'non-vent' downdraft, ie - the downdraft pulls air in, filters it internally, then lets it back out. I know most micowave/hood combos will allow you this option.

Lee

Comment

• Woodwerker
        Established Member
        • Nov 2005

Thanks guys for the advice.
        The sunroom has a slate floor, no furniture. and no drapes, so were not too worried about smoke smell. The old store was not vented, we had a ventless range hood. The down draft requires a venting location per the manual.
        Joe
        Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

I think that I might be tempted to go through the wall to the sunroom then up through the roof.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...