X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

base shoe molding: miter or cope?

I'll be installing some base shoe molding as soon as I get the wood floors in this weekend.

Do I cope the inside corners like the base molding? or do they get a miter?

Also, I have a 15 gauge nailer, a 16 gauge nailer, and a brad nailer. Which one would work the best for attaching it to the base molding?

Thanks...
  • greencat
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Grand Haven Mi

I like to cope since it will still hide if it shrinks. I would use a 1 1/2 nail. So either your 16 gauge or the brad nailer if you have 1 1/2 nails.

A contractor showed me an easy way to cope. I'm not sure if I remember all of the steps. You first make the 45 like a miter then flip it over and cut the back side??? Maybe someone else will remember.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Comment

• lkazista
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Originally posted by greencat
      A contractor showed me an easy way to cope. I'm not sure if I remember all of the steps. You first make the 45 like a miter then flip it over and cut the back side??? Maybe someone else will remember.
      Exactly right, just follow the edge of the 'finished' edge with your saw blade.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I cope all my mouldings. To clarify the previous posts - cut one piece straight (do not mitre) and install. Cut the other piece with an inside miter. Flip it over and follow the mitre profile with your coping saw to cut the back out.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• thestinker
          • Oct 2005
          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I dono...I never have mastered the art of coping. Also all my molding is painted white, so I miter and calk and paint. All mine looks good and I haven't had any problems with shrinking or what not. As far as the nails go, I wold go 1.5in and brads. Mine is 18 ga I believe.
          Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I cope base and crown moulding but I think miters on shoe moulding are fine. It is so small, there is not much to cope or to shrink and open up a gap. If you want to cope it, it wouldn't hurt anything.

If it will be painted, the size of the nail hole doesn't matter much and I would use whatever I had 1 1/2 inch nails for. If I had 18 gauge, I would use them. Shoe moulding is small so the nails can also be small. If it is clear finished, the size of the hole does matter which makes the 18 gauge the best.

Jim

Comment

• DaveS
              • May 2003
              • Minneapolis,MN

well... the flooring guys left a couple hours ago. Man, those guys really move. Two guys did 500 square feet (3 bedrooms, 2 closets, and a hallway) in one day.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I tried a quick cope - snapped the little hook part on top right off. I can see this takes a gentler touch, or a smaller saw.

It is good to know that I *can* miter if this coping takes too long.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Originally posted by greencat
                I like to cope since it will still hide if it shrinks. I would use a 1 1/2 nail. So either your 16 gauge or the brad nailer if you have 1 1/2 nails.

On Ask This Old House (I think), Tommy did the coping by first using a miter box to cut the 45-degrees, then he used a hand-held grinder instead of a coping saw to follow the profile. Man, it went fast, and it was ultra accurate. Worked great on the larger pieces he was doing. I remember thinking to myself "I hope I can remember that trick when the time comes..."

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

Cgalley

Thanks for that tip. That grinding idea sounds like it would work pretty well. I will have to try that one.
                  Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• scorrpio
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

There are two ways to handle a cope:
                    1. At the top, don't cope to a point, but leave about 1/8" lip. Then, use an utility knife to make a notch on top of the mating piece to accomodate that lip. Worked for me when I was doing baseboard installations.

2. Use a gentler tool. I have a variable-speed Dremel with a whole army of attchments for when I need to do precision work.

Comment

Working...