• Show
Clear All
  • vanguard
    Established Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Brighton, MI, USA.
    • Ridgid TS2400SL

Retrofit Windows

Does anybody have any tips/recommendations? I'm looking to replace our 30 year old builder grade alumimum windows with vinyl retrofits. I've only had a single quote so far and it was shocking.

I'm giving some thought to buying the windows and installing them myself. Doesn't look too hard. Of course I've only looked so far.

Thanks,

Joel
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by vanguard
    I'm giving some thought to buying the windows and installing them myself. Doesn't look too hard. Of course I've only looked so far.
    You are correct it isn't very hard to do and save some serious coin. If you are going to do this get EnergyStar rated, Vinyl windows, at least double pane with argon in between.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

We just had all of ours replaced. Except for the vinyl siding issues, I probably could have done it myself (I wasn't paying, thanks to FIL!) The problem I would've run into was with the aluminum that was put up around the windows on the outside. The aluminum had to come off to get to the windows, which ruined the aluminum. The guys installing the windows brought replacement aluminum and a metal bender with them. They did 8 windows in about 2 or 3 hours.

If you're not dealing with vinyl siding issues like we had and you're paying out of pocket, it might be worthwile to buy just one window and see if you can do it. Good luck.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Mar 2004
        • Northern NJ, USA.
        • BT3100

easy, cept for siding

I agree that it's easy, especially with vinyl where you can get near exact size replacements (so no need for further framing or etc. to fill gaps). The only problem I've had with them is the siding. I have aluminum siding, and I have an old house. So, I never got windows to match in size and while close, they always involved messing with the siding. Bending it back, cutting some off, etc. And when I'm done, the siding is always kinked, wrinkled or gapped. Structurally its good, cosmetically, it looks like an amatuer did it (which is what happened).

So if you don't mind that, or if you get windows close to size and have vinyl siding (more forgiving), then go for it yourself. Of course, after I did 4 windows myself with the above problems, I paid people to do the next 4 windows. While better, it still didn't look right. So next time I'll just save the coin and do it myself as well.

curt j.
        A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by 430752
          I agree that it's easy, especially with vinyl where you can get near exact size replacements (so no need for further framing or etc. to fill gaps). The only problem I've had with them is the siding.
          curt j.
          They got some at the BORG that fit inside the old casing and use a new flange type thing on the outside of the siding. You just take the guts of the window out, slip the new custom-made vinyl window in, and I think the outside flange thing is part of the assembly.

Seemed pretty straightforward to me. The only potential drawback is esthetic. The outside flange thing is about 4" wide, which takes some getting used to.

JR
          JR

Comment

• vanguard
            Established Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Brighton, MI, USA.
            • Ridgid TS2400SL

They got some at the BORG that fit inside the old casing and use a new flange type thing on the outside of the siding. You just take the guts of the window out, slip the new custom-made vinyl window in, and I think the outside flange thing is part of the assembly.

Seemed pretty straightforward to me. The only potential drawback is esthetic. The outside flange thing is about 4" wide, which takes some getting used to.
            Since we've got stucco for siding these are exactly what I'm looking at.

Comment

• frumper64
              Established Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Garland, Tx, USA.

Give Lowes a shot

We had our builder grade aluminum windows replaced a couple of years ago and ended up going with Lowes. Their quote was right around 1/2 of what Home Depot and a couple of local window outfits wanted. They did a good job and we have been very satisfied with the results. Not only do they keep the house much more comfortable, but they are also do a lot for noise reduction.
              Jim
              64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• beetee3
                Established Member
                • Feb 2005
                • The Sunshine State

Me and LOML have retrofitted three of our windows ourselves so far, and plan on doing the rest when we get "a round tuit". We're using retrofit vinyl windows ordered from Home Deopt in custom sizes and configurations. We have stucco siding on three sides of the house.

For us, the hardest part of installation has been dealing with the "stucco return" around the existing window opening. For reasons known only to the original builder, our stucco returns stand proud of the stucco by about 3/8". These have to be ground off flush with the stucco in order for the retrofit vinyl stucco flanges to make a weather tight seal. Fortunately this can be done in advance before the old aluminum window is removed.

The actual installation is very straight forward. This is how I've done it:

1) Remove the existing aluminum slider(s) and the fixed glass panel(s). Use a hacksaw to cut through any divider bars and tear them out.

2) Take a moment to ponder that you now have a big hole in the side of your house and that there is no turning back

3) Place the retrofit vinyl window in the window opening and check for level and plumb. Shim as necessary. It's particularly important that the bottom of the vinyl window is supported along its entire length.

4) Remove vinyl window and apply a heavy bead of good quality 100% silicone caulk to the top and side of the stucco flanges. Place the window back in the opening and smoosh it into place to get a tight seal.

5) Carefully drill screw holes through the vinyl tracks and into the existng window framing. Secure the window with 3" number 10 pan head stainless steel screws.

6) The big hole in the side of your house is now filled and secured. Take a moment to down a celebratory beverage

7) Trim out the inside of the window. Quarter round is typically used.

8) Apply a bead of good quality paintable caulk along the top and side stucco flanges where they meet the stucco. This will provide an extra layer of protection against water infiltration.

9) Jobs done, time to go finish off that case of celebratory beverage
                Last edited by beetee3; 02-16-2006, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

We had our 40 yr old aluminum windows replaced with retrofit Milgard windows. after watching the guys install them I have no doubt a good do-it-yourselfer could do it easily.

Make sure to look at all of the features of the windows when comparing them. There are quite a few differences in fit/finish, hardware, etc between the various brands/lines. one of the things I liked about the milgard was very good locks and seals.
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Very informative post, beetee3.

One question. Do you take the measurements yourself, then head to the store, or do you have them come out to do the measuring?

JR
                    JR

Comment

• beetee3
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • The Sunshine State

Originally posted by JR
                      Very informative post, beetee3.

One question. Do you take the measurements yourself, then head to the store, or do you have them come out to do the measuring?

JR
                      Do the measuring yourself. Home Depot may or may not have a flyer on how to do the measuring. Basically, measure the height and width at several different points around the window. The measurements you need are for the "daylight opening" i.e. inside the fixed aluminum window frame.

Comment

• rg32
                        Established Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Barre, Vermont, USA.

If they'll do it ....
                        Definitely have them take the measurements that way if any mistakes are made its on there nickel and not yours.
                        I would also check out the Lowes "How to Library" for installation and measurement instructions.
                        Last edited by rg32; 02-17-2006, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• vanguard
                          Established Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Brighton, MI, USA.
                          • Ridgid TS2400SL

Thanks for all of the great information. At lunch yesterday, I stopped off at the local lumber yard and asked for pricing on the Milgard and Jeld-wen (windowmaster) for a 60x50 slider window and then I stopped off at the BORG on the way home and had them price it as well.

The BORG was $50 a window higher. I was surprised. The local lumber yard (Dixieline) is coming to measure on Saturday.

Comment

• gtokarski
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Dublin, CA USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100

we had new windows put in when we moved in to our house. We got several quotes and ended up having a local independent company do it. the 'total replacement' and retrofit cost was almost identical, less than a hundred bucks on the whole order. out house is stucco exterior and the old windows were aluminum frame single pane. They were crap. The company sent a guy out to measure the windows, they ordered them and got them in, of course they made a mistake and one window was the wrong size. so it took more than 6 weeks before the project was done. but they fixed the screwup on their dime. The guys who came to install them were very good, they cut a thin area of the stucco around the old window frame, pried out the old window frame and installed the new windows in less than a day. a guy came back the next day to fill in the gaps around the windows with stucco patch and to caulk up the interior.
                            We got double pane, low e, Milgard windows and they made a huge difference in exterior noise reduction, heat retention and cooling. We decided on the total replacement because we did not want to reduce the window size and we were afraid the old metal frame would conduct heat/cold from the outside in. the old frames were in pretty poor shape so water leakage or air movement made me nervous. looking back on it all that was needed was a saw with a diamond blade for the stucco, a level and basic hand tools to do the work. easy pickins for anyone handy.

Comment

• vanguard
                              Established Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Brighton, MI, USA.
                              • Ridgid TS2400SL

Well, I ordered the first window last night. After a few more quotes I decided to go ahead and try it. Stopped by the local lowes and ordered a Thermastar by Pella Retrofit Window. Similar latches and construction as Milgard, also dual pane low-e glass but was ~$100 less. Seems like all the local pricing on the Milgards worked out about the same. I did like the vinyl joints and construction on the Thermastar window a little better as well.

Lead time is two weeks so I'll post some pictures as the process goes.

Comment

Working...