• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Got my HF 37" extendable alum clamps in

I ordered these about 2 weeks ago and just got them in today so if you need something in a hurry don't order it from HF. Anyway I thought I'd write a brief review about them as there are always folks asking if the HF clamps are any good. So here goes for what's it's worth. First place I ordered 4 each but got 8 in so that price of $8.49 was for a pair which shocked me as you can imagine. Happy but shocked. The overall closed length of them are 28", that's end to handle and extend out to the 37" like they are supposed to. I played around with them a bit and they seemed to work fine. I applied as much pressure as I normally would clamping stuff together and they didn't seem to bend at least as far as I could tell by looking at them. They are extremely light in weight, I mean extremely which actually pleased me as I didn't expect them to be real heavy as light is what I wanted for the type of clamping I'll be doing with them. Busses's they ain't. The ends are made of what I call pot metal and one of the ends was actually broke which is not a good sign. I assume in shipping. I'm afraid they are very brittle or appears that way if one can be damaged in shipping but like I said they ain't Busses's but will certainly come in handy for certain applications. They were just placed in the shipping box without any type of padding but the ends were wrapped with paper to semi protect them. The bar's themselves are straight and can be adjusted out to 4 different lenghts but can be stowed in there overall closed 28"'s. So overall I'm glad I bought them but they may not hold up in the long run with lots of repeated usage and you sure won't throw them around being that brittle or you probably will only do it once. Anyway, there's my dime's worth review.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

Thanks for the report. I've been curious about those, but right now my clamping needs are sufficiently sated.

No, that doesn't mean I have enough clamps. . . just that I have other things of greater need.
    Brian

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

What is the HF item number for these clamps Lee?
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

That item # is 92751 for the extendable 37" bar clamp. I failed to mention that I also had bought two of the 12" bar clamps a couple weeks ago and have had an opportunity to use them and they seem fine to me. They seem heavier and strouty then my Jorgensen's actually and I think they do fine.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• monte
          Forum Windbag
          • Dec 2002
          • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
          • GI 50-185M

Thanks Lee!
          Monte (another darksider)
          Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• tribalwind
            • Feb 2004
            • long island, ny.

3 weeks ago I ordered 20 6"ers and 10 12". i think the 12" were out of stock(was red on my order status) still waiting for them,and my 4 casters that i really Need asap.

while we're talking about harbor freight.
            its been a real long time isince i bought anything there,
            so i was surprised when i didnt get free shipping on my well over $50 order. when did they start charging shipping???
            looks like amazon's the only one left that offers this(usually)
            namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

Working...