X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jarhead
    • May 2004
    • Boynton Beach, FL.

Cross cut sled

I think it's time to make a cross cut sled. I want to make the sled about 26"x40" and was wondering how to go about cutting it square. Is the circular saw good enough or do I have to find someone who already has a sled and can cut it for me?
  • dedaddy
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Dallastown, PA, USA.
    • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

Cut it with an axe if you want to. The only thing critical is that it travels parallel to the blade and the fence is square to the blade. The edges don't matter.
    Lee
    =============
    I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Lee's right. Set the sled's fence as square as you can make it and attach it with a screw at both ends. Make a test cut, check it for square. If it's off, remove the screw from one end of the fence, adjust as required, and drive the screw into a new hole a half-inch or so away from the original. Repeat as necessary. When you've got it dialed in, attach the fence permanently.
      Larry

Comment

• Mainemarc
        • Nov 2003
        • Portland, ME, USA.

Yeah, what Lee said!
        Marc

Comment

• jarhead
          • May 2004
          • Boynton Beach, FL.

Doh! I guess I was not thinking. [:I] The only thing that matters is that the front fence is exactly 90 degrees to the blade and the runners. I will use an axe then.

One more question... is it better to make the kerf of center to allow more support for longer pieces on one side?

Comment

• monte
            Forum Windbag
            • Dec 2002
            • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
            • GI 50-185M

You'll like the sled once you build it Alex. It's one of my most used jigs. While you're at it you might want to consider building a miter sled as well.
            Monte (another darksider)
            Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• jarhead
              • May 2004
              • Boynton Beach, FL.

quote:Originally posted by monte

You'll like the sled once you build it Alex. It's one of my most used jigs. While you're at it you might want to consider building a miter sled as well.
              Tom,
              Yep, a miter sled is also in the plans. My mentor has one and I got to use it a couple of times; made cutting miters a breeze.

So is it better to make the kerf of center to allow more support for longer pieces on one side?

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

quote:Originally posted by jarhead

Tom,
                Yep, a miter sled is also in the plans. My mentor has one and I got to use it a couple of times; made cutting miters a breeze.

So is it better to make the kerf of center to allow more support for longer pieces on one side?
                That depends. I have one where the kerf is down the middle. I use it like the smt except no angles. I have another that the kerf is at one end and it is used to square up panels.
                Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• monte
                  Forum Windbag
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                  • GI 50-185M

quote:Originally posted by jarhead

Tom,

Depending on how much table room you have, you can build the sled as long as you want to. By having the kerf in the center you'll be supporting the offcut piece more. My most used sled has 40" to the left of the kerf and only about 8" to the right of the kerf. My miter sled has the kerf centered so I can cut miters on either side and have sufficient support for the stock.
                  Monte (another darksider)
                  Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• JeffW
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
                    • BT3100

Make it as big as you want as long as you can lift it.

Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

Working...