Proper use of ROS

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kliu
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • 50
    • .

    #1

    Proper use of ROS

    I just started using my Bosch ROS (the freebie from the Bosch jigsaw!) and it works quite smoothly.

    I just wanted some tips on how fast I should be moving the sander. I've been going like 1"/sec. I always end up rushing it, so I need a little reaffirmation that its the right way to go.

    Also, what speed should I set the ROS to? The Bosch goes like from 1 to 9.

    And lastly, what grit do you start with for veneered plywood? I tend to start at 100->120->150->200

    thanks
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • 6693
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

    #2
    Not sure I can quantify how fast I move my ROS over the workpiece. An inch per second sounds about right, at least as a starting point. The paper's grit, the wood's density, and the speed-dial setting will all be a factor. Also the size of the orbit ... my Makita has a medium-sized 1/8" orbit; don't know what your Bosch has. You're correct that you don't want to rush it, but you don't want to linger too long in any one spot, either.

    The speed-dial setting is similar. Slower speeds for final work, faster speeds for when you really need to hog off a lot of material.

    Spend some time practicing on scrap that matches the actual workpiece. You'll quickly get a feel for what you need to do. Check your work by examining it under a raking light, and/or by rubbing down the surface with a damp cloth.

    I never use anything <s>finer</s> coarser than 150 on hardwood plywood, and usually go straight to 220. A random orbit sander will eat right through the paper-thin face veneer on a sheet of hardwood plywood almost before you realize what's going on. I'm talking about a matter of SECONDS ... and as usual, DAMHIKT.
    Larry

    Comment

    • Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • 10490
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

      #3
      You are going to be on your own on this one, Ken. Just takes some practice to get the feel of the tool.

      I think Larry meant to say not to use anything courser than 150 grit on plywood. This is true on hardwood plys but you can go to 100 grit on most 'construction' plys since the face is thicker.

      Think this is fun, try learning to handle a belt sander.....
      Don, aka Pappy,

      Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

      Comment

      • LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • 6693
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

        #4
        quote:Originally posted by Pappy

        I think Larry meant to say not to use anything courser than 150 grit on plywood. This is true on hardwood plys but you can go to 100 grit on most 'construction' plys since the face is thicker.
        Duh. Yep. Thanks for the catch; and fixed.
        Larry

        Comment

        • kliu
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2004
          • 50
          • .

          #5
          Thanks. I used a light pencil mark and sanded until it disappeared. Seems about right. There's just a few streak marks from the table saw that I let the sander linger longer to remove.

          Comment

          Working...