X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tilt
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2005

HD cull bin?

Several people here have mentioned getting cheap wood from the HD cull bin...where is it generally located?
  • rbfunk
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Garfield, NJ, USA.

Tilt
    I check the 7 local BORGs and lately it seems cull bins have gone the way of the Dodo. I also notice that there is more then one opening for a loss control manager.
    Bob
    Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we are all hopped up on caffine.

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Tilt,

There is still a cull bin at my BORG. It is usually next to the panel and radial arm saw. It is on wheels so it moves around a lot.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Mainemarc
        • Nov 2003
        • Portland, ME, USA.

Hi Tilt:

The two HD's in my area in Portland, ME both have cull bins. At one it's next to the radial arm saw, and the other has theirs located just inside the big service door at the back of the building.

That second HD has also spawned a new breed, which I'll call the 'cull cart'. It's a sharping cart full of hardwood cutoffs priced at $1 each. It's next to the contractor's checkout.

Doesn't seem like I can find quite the deals I used to, though.
        Marc

Comment

• dlminehart
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • San Jose, CA, USA.

I find dumpster diving around construction or remodel sites has replaced checking the now-missing HD cull bins.
          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ElRay
            Established Member
            • Jan 2003
            • NoIL

Our HD has the culls cart with a big “legend” on it identifying the cost for each “color” item. Items sprayed with Day-Glo green are $1.00, all the way up to the ritzy Day-Glo Orange at $5.00.

The Blue-Borg (aka Lowes) doesn’t have a culls bin/cart. Oficially, they box it all up an donate it to Habitat.

Ray
            "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
            --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I pretty much agree with the other posters comments about the cull carts. My local HD still has one but rarely are there any bargins in it. For some reason, they seem to think that they're doing me a favor by offering a 2' long piece of cracked 2x4 for $1.01.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

The cull bin here in Plymouth still exists. It's almost always filled with crappy, 4' stud-grade lumber (I say crappy since it typicall has many checks, bows, or other defects) for $1 a board or so. Sometimes you'll see cedar as well. Amost never will you find hardwood...

If you figure the price of a 'crappy' 4' stud vs. a normal one, it isn't that much discount per foot...

-Tim

Comment

• Brian G
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                  • G0899

There's a certain strategy to checking the cull bin. I have found that early evening on Saturday or Sunday is the best time, because that's after the rush of weekenders that do projects has been through. With sheet goods, they only take what their project needs, and sometimes leave behind good chunks of sheet goods.

Monday through Wednesday are bad days. . . I think tradespeople scoop up the cull trash for bracing and the like.

Lately, Bloomington HD has been slim pickings. . .I think the customers take the whole thing if they have something cut down. Eden Prairie can be a good source, and Burnsville is hit-and-miss.
                  Brian

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Clemson, SC, USA
                    • Rigid TS3650

I'm with Knuckles. Have built most of the cabinets in my shop with stuff from the cull bin. I have 2 4x4 sheets of red oak plywood (11 ply) I got from there for $4 each, just waiting for the right project.
                    Ken Weaver
                    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Knuckles

Eden Prairie can be a good source, and Burnsville is hit-and-miss.
                      I work about a mile from the EP store, so I'll have to check there more often.

-Tim

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

Don't you dare! That's mine.

[)]
                        Brian

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Knuckles

Don't you dare! That's mine.

[)]
                          Race ya! [)][]

-Tim

Comment

• Kristofor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2004
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

What I like about the EP store is that they know what the whole cull bin thing is, and don't try to make you feel like a criminal buying stuff out of there.

In Chaska, half the workers don't know what the color codes mean until you point to the sign they have taped to each register, then you get the whole 9 yards about why would XYZ be $0.51 or $1.01 and such.

On the original topic, all of the HDs I've been in around here (7-8 of them) still have wood cull bins, and some have ones for other things (sheetrock, wiring, landscaping stuff, etc).

Kristofor.

Comment

• WoodPirate
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2005
                              • Jacksonville, FL, USA.

Normal offerings at the Lem Turner and Regency HDs in Jax, FL are:
                              cupped, bowed, bent, cracked, delaminated, scratched, crushed, rotted, water damaged, etc. Have NEVER seen hardwoods there. I found a 3x4 sheet of melamine MDF there recently that I'm going to use as a planer sled.

Dumpster diving and making the rounds on trash day is the way to go.
                              --==<< Steve >>==--

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Comment

Working...