I am practicing hand cut dovetails with a new (western) hand saw. For some reason I have a problem starting the cut and almost certain that it's my technique that's to blame. Something tells me that I am gripping the saw handle too tight; when I loosen the grip, it's easier to start the cut. Please explain to this n00b the right technique.
It must be the technique
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
Hi Jarhead:
I do cut my dovetails by hand, but I'm no Roy Underhill, so take this with a grain of salt. I start cutting on the far top edge of the wood with the saw pointing at a downward angle. (With a Japanese style saw I start the cut on the near top edge, although I still begin with draw strokes only. Seems like with a pull saw you ought start the kerf with push strokes, but it doesn't seem to work out that way.)
I get my thumb right in there and use the fingernail to guide several draw strokes to start the kerf. I then slowly bring my strokes closer to horizonal until the cut extends all the way across the top surface of the wood. I'm still cutting with the saw pointing at a slight downward angle though, and only bring it to a fully horizontal orientation as I'm finishing the dovetail cut.
I wouldn't say I hold the saw loosely, but I don't use a death grip either. It helps to extend my pointer finger straight out against the side of the saw handle. That act of extending the one finger seems to somehow "aim" the saw better and I guess it probably does prevent you from gripping the handle too tightly.
HTH,MarcComment
-
"Something tells me that I am gripping the saw handle too tight; "
Keep practicing! I think you hit a big part of it on the head in your first message. whenever I try something new, until I get the hang of it which also means getting more comfortable doing it, I feel like I'm hanging on too tight also. As I relax, my grip loosens up and the cuts get better.
Different saws just like different angles and strokes also but I think you will find that pretty quickly as it's pretty obvious.
Have fun! I admire folks who can master hand cut joinery.Tom Hintz
NewWoodworker.com LLCComment
-
I suspect you might find it easier and more accurate to use a Japanese, "pull" style saw. Easier to pull lightly and yet precisely than to push, as you're not dealing with a springy blade wanting to bend and then jump forward on you. Plus, they don't have to be so thick in order to be so stiff to withstand pushing. Thus, they tend to require less work to do the cutting.- David
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar WildeComment

Comment