Avoiding sag in plywood desk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kliu
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • 50
    • .

    #1

    Avoiding sag in plywood desk

    I'm working on an L-shaped desk, with supports on the ends.
    I'm concerned about the elbow area where I would be sitting, since I prefer not to put any additional supports in the leg area.

    To add to the weight, I'm also putting a keyboard tray mounted on the bottom of the desktop.

    I was thinking of using an aluminum 0.75" x 0.75" x 96" L-support. I would screw this diagonally under the desktop to provide the extra support (maybe run 2 of these).

    My desktop is 6' x 6', with a 24" top using 3/4" baltic birch ply. I already have the desk assembled with edge banding, so using a solid wood edge is out.

    Is the aluminum support enough? Any other ideas on preventing the sag?

    thanks
  • Ken Weaver
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • 2417
    • Clemson, SC, USA
    • Rigid TS3650

    #2
    I have a similar situation with a sewing unit for the LOML. I was planning on using a strap something to bring the two units together. It think it will be enough as the unit I'm mating to has a sistered top and face-framed.
    Ken Weaver
    Clemson, SC

    "A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

    Comment

    Working...