• Show
Clear All
  • svperil
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2013
    • Bel Air, MD
    • Ryobi 3100

2-D Software

I want a FREE 2-D drawing software. To be used primarily for dimensioning parts for a carcass. Any suggestions/recommendations?
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

If you are looking for something like AutoCad then Draftsight is very similar.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Are you wanting something to draw with (could MS paint work) or something more like a cut list program?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Isn't "MS paint" just a bit-map (pixel) instrument? I think svperil is probably looking for a 'vector' drawing program, like AutoCad or one of the cheaper work-a-likes. I use Corel Draw, but it's $100 in the non-pro version. But AutoDesk offers it's 3D programs for free, like 'Fusion 360' or '123 Design', so I would not be surprised if they offer something of a light version of it's AutoCad product. I think I would check there.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• trungdok
          Established Member
          • Oct 2012
          • MA

You could use Sketchup in the 2D fashion. If you do prefer the more CAD like feel, LibreCAD is free and looks pretty decent (http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/Main_Page)

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Inkscape?

inkscape,vector,drawing,graphics,svg,xml,document,poster,linux,open source,foss,floss,free software,libre software,libre,freedom,line,shape,diagram,flowchart,graph,extension,plugin,software,download,platform,windows,win,mac,osx,ubuntu,fedora,debian,help,tutorial,chat,irc,home,homepage,professional,casual,powerful,text,web,www,w3c,standard
            Joe

Comment

Working...