• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveinFloweryBranchGA
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Flowery Branch, Georgia, USA.

planes from Hartville tool?

I just got a catalog from Hartville Tool. In it, I see some planes made in India for a much cheaper price than the LV and LN tools. I'm wondering if anyone has tried these tools and what do they think?

My own experience in my father's knife business was india manufactured knives weren't worth much, pretty, but poor steel.
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

I have not laid eyes on any but everything I have read cruising the knuckle forums seemed pretty distasteful.
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Mainemarc
      • Nov 2003
      • Portland, ME, USA.

Hi Dave:

I believe these are planes made by an Indian company called Anant. My understanding is that if you can't afford a Knight/LN/Veritas or Clifton, but want to buy new, then the Anant is a better quality tool than a new Stanley (which isn't necessarily saying much).

I've had very good luck rehabbing relatively inexpensive old hand planes, which is your other low cost option. The steel in those old blades is generally excellent.

My personal opinion is that the Anant planes make the most sense in cases where they offer a copy of the more unusual vintage tools that are prohibitively expensive for mere hand tool users like me.

For instance Anant makes a copy of the old Stanley #10 carriage maker's plane. It has open cheeks and an iron that extends the full width of the tool. Just the ticket for wide rabbets and raising your own panels. I think the Anant #10 sells for around $50. I could never afford a real #10, so the Anant version is very compelling.

Anant also makes a copy of the old Record 778, which looks like the Stanley 78 rabbet plane except the fence is secured by two arms, not one. I think that is probably a very good buy.

Now if Anant would just make a version of the Stanley 71 router plane ......
      Marc

Comment

• DaveinFloweryBranchGA
        Established Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Flowery Branch, Georgia, USA.

Thanks gentlemen. Apparently, they've got their smoothing plane on sale for about $20.00, which makes it hard to not try out, as that'd be not much more than the knob and tote would cost. I suppose I may have to try one out, just to see.

Dave in Flowery Branch, GA

Comment

• Armini
          Established Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by DaveinFloweryBranchGA

Thanks gentlemen. Apparently, they've got their smoothing plane on sale for about $20.00, which makes it hard to not try out, as that'd be not much more than the knob and tote would cost. I suppose I may have to try one out, just to see.
          Dave,

They might also be the Groz planes, which I have taken a close look at. Visually, the Groz is a very appealing plane. I was actually impressed by the flatness of the sole, it probably won't require much fettling. The quality of the blade could probably be better, but if this is really your 'starter' plane, it is probably better to learn tuning on one of this quality.

My major criticisms were:

i) The machining of the seat of the frog to the body could be much better. Of course, this is also true of any Stanley currently made.

ii) The lever-cap screw holding the lever cap was very . That doesn't appear to be the case on the Hartville one.

If the plane has a throat adjustment screw, I'd go for it, you're way ahead of a modern Stanley.

I'd highly recommend picking up Hack's book.

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
            • Mar 2005
            • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

From a totally personal view point, I would like to see you get one and report your findings. I had been considering that same plane since I have decided I need a Jack & Jointer plane soon.
            I spent most of yesterday afternoon working on a new Stanley Block plane and a Craftsman Jack plane I have had for many years.
            The little stanley after sharpening and tuning does a very nice job.
            Finishing leaves a lot to be desired. I spent several hours smoothing the sole(lapping on a steel plate in steps from 220 grit - 400). It will certainly plane translucent shavings after sharpening to 1000 grit on my japanese water stone.
            The Craftsman is going to be inadequate for anything but rough work.
            I can`t seem to get anything but thick curls.
            I have come to the conclusion that in all but when doing many repetitive joints I can do the job quicker by hand than the time it takes to set up a machine for he job. with the added benefit that shavings sweep and leave less fine dust.
            Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Dave - I have no knowledge about that brand of handplanes, but my experiences with Hartville have been excellent, and I have alot of respect for their claims about their merchandise.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Another brand that has shown up on e-bay recently (at least I don't remember seeing them before) is Kunz. Anyone know anything about them? Appears to be a German company making reproductions of the old Stanleys.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Armini
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Pappy

Another brand that has shown up on e-bay recently (at least I don't remember seeing them before) is Kunz. Anyone know anything about them? Appears to be a German company making reproductions of the old Stanleys.
                  Kunz are well made tools. I have yet to see any of their planes, but their spokeshaves are very reasonably priced for the quality.

Comment

Working...