Clear All
  • WEG
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Nahant, MA.

Homemade Horizontal Router Slot Mortiser

Hi Folks;
    New edit:
    Hey, I think the thing will fit out the cellar door now! Thanks for all the hints. And for the nice words. It really is easy to use, yes I would make it again, yes it looks a bit dicey sticking out there in mid air, but it cuts really easy without much force needed it you take off a little at a time.

(Jeez, I just looked at this and it's really "big"..I don't know how to make it smaller [V] Sorry folks)[/i][/i]I just finished putting together a pretty simple (right up my alley ) horizontal router fixture that was in Fine Woodworking magazine, Winter 2004/2005. They call it a "Shopmade Slot Mortiser". It's basically platforms made from MDF glued up three high so the platforms are 2 1/4thick. One 8x29 platform slides into the router direction on "T track" attached to the 20x30 base. I used a piece of 3/4 melamine particle board I had left over for the base.

Another platform 8x18 slides on top of that one again with this "T track", This one slides across the router direction, so now you have sliding platforms both into and across the router. The magazine bottom base is 3/4 ply 20x30. I guess you could even your workbench if you wanted it permanently situated. (I didn't think of that...hmmm..) This top platform has two "T tracks" mitered flush with the top so that you can attach another MDF two thicknesses high about 5x8 to it with 1/4 20 hardware. This block has a clamp attached to it to hold down your work piece. Boy, this is getting long! A bit more...and I think the best part of my "Slot Mortiser".

The router in the magazine is attached to a Rockler aluminum router table plate and the plate is attached to a "block" of the same MDF but it's only about 4x8 or so. This block is bolted to the base and the aluminum plate is bolted to the block. It makes a very sable attachment to your base. The down side is the router is fixed and not adjustable up or down, so the workpiece has to be raised or lowered (positioned) with shims. What was really neat for me was I used my PC 690 router's edge guide accessory to mount the router to the base instead of the aluminum plate (cost wise, I think the edge guide is about the same as the aluminum plate). The edge guide lets you move the router anywhere along it of course but it also has a micropositioner built it which makes adjusting the height of the router to the workpiece real easy. I had to do a little blocking and clamping to make it stable, but it's really pretty good . I will try to post a couple of pics, but I'm not sure I know how [)].

I'm also sort of embarrassed posting a simple thing like this that is a far cry from the quality of Mr. Kirby's fine jigs and fixtures he shares with us. (especially that ugly melamine particle board base I used. I'm going to go out and buy some baltic birch and "spruce it up" or "birch it up" )

I'm hoping it will help out a few of you who would like to make a slot mortiser out of your router that's really easy to make and use. Especially if you have an edge guide you can modify to mount your router.
    Here's the pics... hold your breath! Hopefully they are worth the "thousand words" I used trying to explain this!

• cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Use of the adjustable router guide = very clever.

Good work.

Comment

• newood2
      • Aug 2004
      • Brooklyn, NY.
      • BT3100-1

Hey Weg,you can open the picture in the paint tool and change it to a maximum size of 600 X 400.
      Go to Start/All Programs/Accessory/Paint
      Open your picture, click Image button on top and use the combination of Stretch/Skew and Attributes to edit the size.
      Or maybe you have another editor.
      Try also to go back and edit your post and use the smaller picture.
      I would love to see this jig.

Howie

Comment

• Imadunatic
        Established Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Barryton, Mi, USA.

dang, i wish my short term memory was better,
        by the time i get to one end of the pic,
        i cant remember what was at the other end, LOL

sorry, i had to say it,
        but it is a very interesting way,
        id like to build the one in the april 2005 issue of workbench,
        but i think i'll cheat and use the bridgeport,

kevin
        \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

(Jeez, I just looked at this and it's really "big"..I don't know how to make it smaller Sorry folks)

Try Irfanview to resize the pics.

www.irfanview.com

And its FREE!
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• FRT
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2005
            • Spokane, Wa., USA.

WEG,
            That jig is HUGE!!!! I don't think it will fit on my older BT3!!!
            Sorry, souldn't stop my self from commenting! It does look very interesting
            but I will need some more coffee before viewing again at this time.
            FRT

Comment

• bhornberger
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Webster Groves, Mo, USA.
              • Craftsman 22104

resized for Weg.

Brent

Comment

• ElRay
                Established Member
                • Jan 2003
                • NoIL

Anybody got plans/ideas about doing something like this where the router could also be mounted horizontally? I'd like to be able to use the sliding parts to cut biscuit slots.

Ray
                "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
                --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

First of all, I won`t join the guys in ribing you about the size of your post. Secondly there is nothing wrong with the looks of that jig. If all of us exerted the same painstaking effort to make pretty jigs,Rod Kirbys would not be so special(its his thing and I respect that). Note I really enjoy seeing his jigs!
                  I too have that magazine and was considering building this jig as well. So my question is how it works or you, and would you do it again?
                  Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

quote:Originally posted by ElRay

I'd like to be able to use the sliding parts to cut biscuit slots.
                    Ray, I use a slot-cutting bit from Whiteside specifically designed for biscuits that works very well. I'd recommend it over using a straight bit.

It's very easy to use -- I push the wood into the cutter against the fence, slide the wood about 3/4", and I'm done.

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

• jstevens
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Ardmore, PA, USA.

Pretty cool idea to use the PC edge guide. I hate to seem like I'm raining on your parade, but the exposed bit looks like a serious safety hazard.

I have a contraption that does the same stuff, only it uses a plunge router mounted with the bit facing down (the way you'd normally use a hand-held router). The router is attached to a runner the same way the edge guide attaches, and the runner & router then slide from side to side on a rail, sort of like the reverse of how a miter gauge rides in the slot. The workpiece is held stationary. The bit plunges into the workpiece and then you move the router as far as needed to make the mortise or tenon, depending on how you set up the cut. The bit is only exposed if you're making a tenon, and even then, it's only exposed briefly while you're holding the router with both hands. When I finish the "new & improved" version, I'll try posting a pic here...although less about posting pics than you. [)]

Regards,

John

Comment

• WEG
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Nahant, MA.

Hi Again;
                        I almost forgot, I need to say a special thanks to Newood2 for showing me how to resize these pics and another to bhornberger who actually did it so you guys could see it all at once! Thanks you two, much appreciated.
                        And I need to apologize to Rod Kirby for all the sawdust! Rod, you are my hero!
                        WEG

Comment

• newood2
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Brooklyn, NY.
                          • BT3100-1

And thanks to you WEG for a great idea, I'll save that picture.

Howie

Comment

Working...