• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbutler
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005
    • Roland, OK, USA.

Finishing Questions

I'm finishing up my first real project and it's looking surprisingly good. It's a computer armoire with slide out keyboard and printer trays.

I chose poplar plywood with poplar hardwood for the rails and stiles. I picked poplar because it was cheap and I knew that I would probably waste a lot of wood my first time out. (And I did)

I would like to stain it a darker color with a red tint to match other furniture in the house and then apply a poly coating. Does that sound like it would work? Should I use oil or water based stains and poly?

What about the inside of the cabinet, is it normally finished just like the outside or is it left unfinished?

Gary Butler
  • Tundra_Man
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

I prefer the look and workability of the oil-based finishing products. The water based poly cans tout it as being "non-yellowing" but IMHO it gives a very sterile look vs the rich amber of oil finishes.

You can thin oil based poly 50% with either mineral spirits or naphtha and wipe it on with a rag; makes finishing much easier as coats go on nice and smooth and it's easy to avoid runs. The drawback is you have to put on twice as many coats because each coat is only half as thick.

I'd finish the inside of the cabinet as well. That'll help protect it from damage and keep the wood's moisture absorbtion under control. Plus this is one area where DIYers can make their pieces stand out from store boughten ones: often times to save money store boughten furniture is left unfinished on the undersides, inside drawers and cabinets, etc.
    Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I have to disagree Tundra Man. It depends upon the wood. Certainly oil finished are great for bringing out the warmth in woods, but for things like curly maple, I prefer a non-yellowing clear coat. It's partly because it is still somewhat yellowing, but not as much.

For poplar, it depends upon the poplar. Is it a darker poplar? or light and grainy? There's a lot of variety in poplar. There is even purpley heart wood poplar. You might consider using a wood conditioner before applying stain though, as poplar's pourisity varies.

just some thoughts, good luck!

Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Brian G
        • Jun 2003
        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
        • G0899

I advocate experimenting on some of the wood you "wasted". Poplar has a tendency to blotch. Experimenting before hand can save you grief later. Some ideas:

Use Watco Danish Oil as a seal coat, give it a light (320 grit after it dries) sanding, and then follow with your choice of stain.

Try some shellac (1 lb cut of blonde shellac) as a seal coat, light sand (320 grit), and then follow with the stain.

Try some 50% poly/50% mineral spirits (or naptha) as a seal coat, light sand (320 grit), and then follow with the stain.

Try with oil stain. . . perhaps water stain. . . gel stain. . .

You'll find your answer when you compare them side-by-side on your scrap pieces. Experimenting might seem a little wasteful with respect to buying and trying stain and seal coats. .. but that sure beats ending up with a nicely crafted piece of work that has a finish that you wish wasn't the finish.
        Brian

Comment

Working...