This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Drill press dust collection?

Any advice on the best way to suck up dust/shavings from a floor standing DP?
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

quote:Originally posted by MilDoc

Any advice on the best way to suck up dust/shavings from a floor standing DP?
    Here's one way - floor or bench DP. 3/4" MDF back/sides, 1/4" MDF top/bottom(s).

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I typically wait until I'm finished drilling, then go get the shop vac and run it all over the floor around the DP.

I plan to build some sort of nozzle similar to the (most elegant) one Rod illustrates. Item #135 on my Round Tuit list.

Within the last few days I saw a decidedly low-tech solution involving a piece of stiff wire, such as from a coat hanger, that was held to the DP's column with a hose clamp and had the end of a shop vac hose clamped or taped to the other end. The idea was that the wire was pliable enough to allow it to be bent to position the hose end where you needed it, but stiff enough the hose would stay put when you got it there. Simple, but effective.
      Larry

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I've only had my DP a couple weeks, but I've just drilled a few holes, and had the DP hose nearby and sucked everything up.

-Tim

Comment

• final_t
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003

Rod, how did you mount the light on your DP?

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

I am the drill and then shop vac guy but on my list is to make something like the attached pictures.
            These are from a booklet published by Wood Mag that I picked up at the Griz store a few years ago.

Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Here's my $0.02: If you're going to mount a DC port on your DP, don't mount it rigidly to the table or fence. I'm thinking specifically of the Rockler DP table that had a DC port attached to the fence. It was useless when drilling anything taller than about 4" (e.g. a 1x6 on edge).

Seems like a column-mounted solution would always have the hose right where the action is.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

interesting plans (the magazine ones). However, it requires you to remove the head unit from the column to install it, and after hefting that thing once in the original install, don't think I ever want it to come off again!

-Tim

Comment

• Tom Miller
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Tim, if you look at the plan you'll see it's a split ring design. Otherwise, I'm with you -- that head's not coming off again for anyone!

Regards,
                  Tom

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Tom Miller

Tim, if you look at the plan you'll see it's a split ring design. Otherwise, I'm with you -- that head's not coming off again for anyone!
                    Oops, missed the exploded view. I just glanced at the "parts view" and didn't notice the split. Gotta stop making assumptions I guess... [)]

-Tim

Comment

Working...