• Show
Clear All
  • drunkcat
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Elgin IL
    • BTK

Wax Drill Press?

I was putting my new DP (Big Lots) together last night and the directions said to wax the table and main column to prevent rust.

Am I right in thinking I wouldn't want my drill press table slick and that the wax wont really help with rust prevention?

I searched the forums and found info on T9. Is that the way to go? Where do I get T9?

Thanks!

Scott
  • DaveinFloweryBranchGA
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Flowery Branch, Georgia, USA.

Scott,

I think wether you use Johnson's paste wax (A traditional cast iron protectant/lubricant.) or Boshield T9 has a lot to do with the humidity level of the area you live in. I live just north of Atlanta, Georgia, close to the bottom of the Smokey Mountain range. The land is hilly and while it's rainy, rust due to humidity has just not been a problem for me thus far. Therefore, I simply use Johnson's paste wax most times except when I store my tools for the mid-winter months (All of two months) because I don't currently have a heated garage/basement.

Johnson's paste wax is inexpensive and is available at many stores around where most folks live, such as at the local Ace Hardware, grocery stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. (Much easier to find in the store at the grocery store and Ace, btw.) Boeshield is a better rust protectant, but more than likely you'll have to order it online or purchase it at your local woodworking store, should you have such in your area. It is also a bit more expensive than Johnson's paste wax.

I would suggest you simply get the Johnson's, because it's available locally and you can use it to lubricate your other cast iron tools as well. Then order the Boeshield T9 as your winter protectant, unless you have potential humidity issues (such as using a kerosene heater in the garage in winter).

Hope this helps,

Dave
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA

Comment

• drunkcat
      Established Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Elgin IL
      • BTK

Thanks Dave, very helpful!

Scott

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

If it's cast iron, I wax it with the Johnsons wax. Even my cast aluminum tools gets a coat since that eliminates the black marks the aluminum puts on the wood. Just be sure you don't use a wax that has silicon in it; it will migrate into the wood and make it next to impossible to finish.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• monte
          Forum Windbag
          • Dec 2002
          • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
          • GI 50-185M

I vote for the Johnson's Paste Wax. It's inexpensive and easy to use.
          Monte (another darksider)
          Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• plarval
            Established Member
            • Apr 2004
            • Akron, Ohio, USA.

I just went through my spring "rust-off" Mineral spirits and Johnson's makes everything nice again! Easy, inexpensive, readily available.

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

I am another one that uses the Johnson's Paste Wax.
              John Hunter

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I guess that I'm the pessimist here. Immediately after assembling my Ridgid 3650 TS I applied 2 coats of Johnson's. A couple of weeks later we had a rainy day and a temp drop which caused condensation on just about everything in the shop. I expected it and went out to the shop to turn on the heat and found small specks of rust all over the table. It responded to a kerosene/ steel wool rubdown and then I coated it with a marine protectant that I got at Bass Pro Shoppe (sorry- can't recall the name but it's made by Quicksilver, I believe). The popular product is Corrosion-X but I couldn't find it.
                Later,
                Chiz
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

Working...