• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Drill Press Cabinet Help

I need to build a simple shop cabinet for my benchtop 10" drill press to sit upon. In my old shop I had it on a bench, but felt that it was too high. What would you all think a good height for the press would be?? For instance, at what height would the table be to drill through 3/4" material (as this is the most common)??

I'd appreciate any input, thanks all...
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • JeffH
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA.

I built this little unit for my 12 inch craftsman DP. The cabinet is 24 inches tall or so including the casters. I'm 5'8" tall. For me, the determining factors were twofold: First, how high could the unit be such that I could still comfortably adjust the belt to change speeds; and second; how high would it need to be such that when I'm using the unit, reaching for the handle is a "natural" feeling. I don't want to reach up or down to get to the handles, just "out". Hope this helps.

-Jeff

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, that seems about right, 24". That was my inclination, but I was hoping that someone else had done it also. You are within 1/2" of my height too, so that's a great starting point. Thanks a lot for he responce Jeff.

Did you reinforce the top for the weight of the press? My little 10" rypbi press is pretty heavy. I was considering 2x4 construction, but it looks like you did yours with MDF, just doubling up 3/4 was strong enough?

thanks again,
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Armini
        Established Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by drumpriest

Did you reinforce the top for the weight of the press? My little 10" rypbi press is pretty heavy. I was considering 2x4 construction, but it looks like you did yours with MDF, just doubling up 3/4 was strong enough?
        I was wondering about this too, as I just picked up a Delta DP350. Quite a heavy unit. Anyone know any recent publications worth looking at?

Comment

• DonHo
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Shawnee, OK, USA.
          • Craftsman 21829

I built my drill press cabinet out of 3/4" birch ply put together with pocket screws and glue. I have the 12" drill press from Big Lots(pretty much the same as 12" Ryobi). It's very heavy but the cabinet is holding up OK. I just finished a mobile cabinet for my Craftsman bench top jointer(about 100 lbs) and I used 2X4 frame for the cabinet. I probably would have made the drill press cabinet with a frame but I started with the little 5 speed and the ply cabinet was plenty strong enough for it. Looks like it is going to hold up alright for the bigger one also.

DonHo
          Don

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

My DP cabinet is 3/4 plywood, dadoed and glued, with a 1 1/4" MDF top (3/4" and 1/2" laminated together). Holds a Ryobi DP120.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• RodKirby
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
              • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Drill Press height?

Easy - Top of DP (where the belts are) - about the same as your height! Works for me (or anybody)
              Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

So I'm thinking that it'll basically be a 24" cube. I'm thinking to make mine so that it has 2 casters and 2 adjustable leveling feet. (my floor isn't spot on flat). This should allow me to make handles to wheelbarrow the thing around when I need to move it. Otherwise I'd have to shim the feet to make it level.

What do you all think?

(this should get moved to project related discussions maybe??)

Thanks again all,

Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Trying to 'wheelbarrow' a drill press might not be the best idea because most of the weight is in the head. A better idea might be to build a lift on one end similar to this.

This one isn't mine but I have built them for my band saw and jointer. The base for the jointer has lifts on both ends. The sides are drilled for threaded inserts near the casters to accept leveling feet. my next shop project is a cabinet/stand for a lathe and will have dual lifts built into it.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• JeffH
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA.

For mobility I just used four casters from Grizzly...3" red polyurethane. Two double locking swivel in the front and two fixed in the rear (note that the bottom and top of my cabinet are both doubled 3/4" MDF), bolted through the MDF. Easy to move, locks down firm when I want it to. Remember that there isn't much, if any, lateral pressure to "move" a drill press when you are using it. It's not like a table saw or a jointer where you are pushing something "through" the tool. I wouldn't bother with an elaborate rig. I agree with what others have said about tilting the unit...not a good idea, in my opinion. The DP is VERY top heavy. That also factored in to my decision to use so much MDF in the cabinet...it's bottom heavy [8D] . Good luck!

Comment

• ejs1097
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I was just getting ready to start the same project. I'm actually making 2, the other for the band saw. I've been using both tools off of my work-mate and the height seems good. 31" from floor to table top.

Even with the weight of the DP, I was planning to rabbit the sides to the bottom and the back to the sides with 3/4 ply with a double layered top. The back should be strong enough to provide the rigidness. 4 swivel casters with locks in the front.

I was figuring 16x20 base but now, y'all have me thinking about making it wider, maybe 20x20 to prevent a tip-over. I hate drawing new cutting diagrams though.
                      Eric
                      Be Kind Online

Comment

• plarval
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2004
                        • Akron, Ohio, USA.

Pappy,

I see that the base in the picyure is made with a hardwood, do you think plywood would hold up ok. I'm thinking of making one of these for my bandsaw and maybe bt3100.

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

plarval,

Interesting question. Virtually all the screws drive into the sides of the boards. I'd be concerned about plywood holding the screws.

I've made a couple out of pine and was not happy with the result. Things tend to creak and moan when jacking it up and moving. The maple one feels a lot better.

JR
                          JR

Comment

Working...