• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Modular home questions...

I have a friend who is considering buying a modular home, but she'd be renting the land for a time, until she can buy a plot, and then move the house. Anyone know anything about this?? Can you really move one of these things? What's the procedure?

I would imagine that you'd have to remove some drywall to get to the joint systems to take it all apart, etc....

She's concerned about getting hardwood flooring of some sort before they do the move. But she also has allergies.

any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all,

Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • gdog
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Soperton, Georgia.

It is my understanding it costs just about as much to move one across town as it does to move it across the state. The biggest part of the cost is tear down and set up. They can be moved, there will probably be some repairs to make-drywall, roofing, the like-but they were designed and built to be (sort of) portable.
    Gordon

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, I couldn't imagine that they'd be effortless to move. You'd have to tapcon the thing down to the slab, wouldn't ya?? And the modules have to have a seem at some point that would need taken apart, and repaired later, that'd have to be mid wall at some point. roght??

Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Jim Boyd
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

It would make a lot more sense to get the land at the same time. Financing land with the home would probably be cheaper in the long run when you figure the price of moving the home. Another thing to consider is what would happen if she was evicted from the property? Wouldn't the land owner become the new owner of the home if she was not able to move it in the time stated in the eviction notice? I have heard of this happening with trailor parks but do not know if it would apply in this case.
        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

She might want to talk to her lender or a real savvy realtor. Not sure about modular home but IIRC mobile homes cannot be financed FHA if they have ever been moved from the origonal location.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• mudder
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • I live in a house
            • Delta 36-650

I had a modular home as my first house.

The modular home comes in 2 or more sections and is assembled on site. Once assembled it is intended to be permenent. I don't think you would want to move it after assembly as disassembling it would probably do great damage. I've never seen a modular built with hardwood flooring before transport but it has been quite a few years since I looked at a mod home. Would suspect that the flooring would have to be laid down after the home was in a permenent location.

I would suggest she get the land and house at the same time to avoid the hassles.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Hey Mudder, were you there when they erected the house? Do you have any idea what is involved? My previous statements are pure speculation, and I'd love to be able to give her some real information.

And thanks to all, you are all mirroring my thoughts. I can't really tell her to do anything, just give her advise, but it seems sketchy to me.

Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...