• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Where to buy online?

I'm looking for some birch hardwood and I need it to be at least 6.5' long and 1' thick and preferably 4" wide. I've tried two, rockler which only has a maximum length of 60" (that and they are out of stock), I also tried public lumber and they had pretty much what I'm looking for, the only problem is that the shipping was three times as much as the wood

So where else can I get what I'm looking for? I'm looking online because me resources (meaning car) is limited to what I can carry.
  • Otter
    • Nov 2003
    • Cumming, GA, USA.
    • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

I have bought from Westpenn Hardwoods and have always recieved the best service from them. I have asked for pictures of the boards, and they have sent them, if I buy the board, I get the one they took the pictures.
    http://www.westpennhardwoods.com

Here is another place that I order my whatever wood from, they lack a certain service aptitude.
    http://woodworkerssource.net/index.php
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• ivwshane
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Sacramento CA

Excellent, thanks.

I used the woodworkerssource online calculator and I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.

I'm making a faceframe out of birch hardwood, it needs to be 1" and 2" wide, if I have them straightline it will it still come out to 2" wide (I know that it's not a true 2") or do I need to specify a wider board to get it down to 2"?

Using the calculator it with these dimensions:
      2qnty 1" thick x 2" wide x 78" long
      +
      2qnty 1" think x 2" wide x 34" long
      = 5.05bf

Is that right? I guess because I only see 5' and my lengths are 6.5' that it throws me off, but bf refers to area right?

Comment

• ivwshane
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Sacramento CA

Oh and when I order this how do I tell them how I want it? Do I tell them to cut two 2"x78" and two 2"x34" boards?

Comment

• Otter
          • Nov 2003
          • Cumming, GA, USA.
          • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

quote:Originally posted by ivwshane

Excellent, thanks.

I used the woodworkerssource online calculator and I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.

I'm making a faceframe out of birch hardwood, it needs to be 1" and 2" wide, if I have them straightline it will it still come out to 2" wide (I know that it's not a true 2") or do I need to specify a wider board to get it down to 2"?

Using the calculator it with these dimensions:
          2qnty 1" thick x 2" wide x 78" long
          +
          2qnty 1" think x 2" wide x 34" long
          = 5.05bf

Is that right? I guess because I only see 5' and my lengths are 6.5' that it throws me off, but bf refers to area right?
          Board foot is (thickness"*width"*length")/144. If I run the calculation it is about 3.7bf, but this dose not allow for waist factor. Different woods have different waste factors, for example, Wallnut(american black) has a waste factor of 40% to 50%. So there calculation allows for waste.
          All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• final_t
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003

You might try Niagra Lumber for birch:
            http://www.niagaralumber.com/

I've ordered from them in the past, quality is good, prices are reasonable, but varies depending on shipping zip code ("free" shipping = higher prices further west of NY). Minimum order of 20 bft, but can be mix-n-matched. Pre-surfaced two sides.

What'cha gonna build with it?

Comment

• Otter
              • Nov 2003
              • Cumming, GA, USA.
              • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Oh and when I order this how do I tell them how I want it? Do I tell them to cut two 2"x78" and two 2"x34" boards?
              That depends on what tools you have and if you were wanting to mill it up yourself.

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• ivwshane
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Sacramento CA

I have no tools with regards to milling (like no planar) and I do have a router but I only have limited use with it (this will be my first real project).

http://www.niagaralumber.com/ this place looks good but how do I know in what shape and length it will come in? It says it comes in 6' to 8' but I would need the 8' stuff.

Thanks for everyones help, it's my first real project and there is just so much to think about (now I know why furniture costs so much).

Comment

• final_t
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003

http://www.niagaralumber.com/ this place looks good but how do I know in what shape and length it will come in? It says it comes in 6' to 8' but I would need the 8' stuff.
                  You'll have to use their "contact us" page to ask them that, but based on what I've gotten from them, it seems like they try to pick the shorter stuff to ship, or at least tried to make the boards the same length to make the package easier.

Wall Lumber ( http://walllumber.com/ ) says 8'-12' long for their items. There are others, and I know that one of the magazines I get recently ordered some from yet another company online, but I can't find which one right now.

Comment

• padboy
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2005
                    • Roscommon, Michigan, USA.

I posted this info in another discussion but it is relevent here: I highly recommend Barn Door Lumber in Merrill Michigan. Their website is:www.barndoorlumber.com They are knowledgeable,friendly,honest, and anxious to ship anywhere.

Comment

• jnesmith
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I have ordered from niagara several times. I have always been happy. They will work with you on your specific needs.
                      John

Comment

• jnesmith
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

quote:Originally posted by padboy

I posted this info in another discussion but it is relevent here: I highly recommend Barn Door Lumber in Merrill Michigan. Their website is:www.barndoorlumber.com They are knowledgeable,friendly,honest, and anxious to ship anywhere.
                        Interesting. I've never heard of them. They have a wide selection of home-grown and imports. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any prices.
                        John

Comment

Working...