X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kliu
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004

Dado blade or router?

I'm looking to cut a bunch of dado and rabbit cuts.
    Should I get a stacked dado set (like the freud sd206) or a router?

I got my bt3 not long ago and see myself as a weekend shelf builder. Eventually, I'd like to try building some cabinets and stuff.

I've bought a bunch of tools lately, and wanted to postpone making any big tool purchases for a bit. But trying to make several passes with the TS gets old quick when making 3/4" dados.

Any low cost solutions?
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

This recent thread will help you out:

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=17358

I understand your concerns about spending money, but if you do decide to spend some ... all else being equal, I'd spend it on a router rather than a dado set. It's a simple matter of priorities and flexibility. A dado set is a nice accessory to own, but it will only cut dados and rabbets. A router will do that and much more (although you do need some bits). People can and will argue forever about the best way to do these jobs when both tools are available, but if you don't already have them and are looking to prioritize your purchases, a router wins hands down.
    Larry

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I also agree that a router purchase at this time will give you many more opportunities for using the tool vs a dado set. But don't completely rule out a dado set sometime in the future though. For making repetitive identical dados on many pieces of wood, the table saw dado set is a much faster method for me anyway.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Clemson, SC, USA
        • Rigid TS3650

If you don't have a router - start there and go for the dado stack later. Dave and Larry have it right.
        Ken Weaver
        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

A router would be the way to go if you ask me. Even an inexpensive one will serve you well at many tasks. Like the 100$ ryobi plunge router, for instance. You can mount it in the BT3 for table stuff, or just hand held. I do hand held for my dados with a couple of guides. It's not bad at all.

Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• kliu
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2004

Thanks. I'll probably go with the router.
            Problem with the router is the continual investment with the price of the bits...

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

kliu, saw blades dull also but just like saw blades, router bits can also be resharpened. [8D]

Comment

• kliu
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2004

True, but I'm talking about my lack of restraint once I have a router and want all the cool router bits.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by kliu

True, but I'm talking about my lack of restraint once I have a router and want all the cool router bits.
                  That CAN be a problem, that's fershure, and DAMHIKT.

But you can scratch that itch and have a lot of fun for very little money by starting with one of the big starter sets from Blades 'N Bits, Holbren, MLCS, etc. in which the various bits cost an average of $2-5 apiece. I own a moderately-sized and still-growing selection of top-quality bits, but I also own the 30pc BnB set; and while I do think the higher quality and longer life of my CMTs and Whitesides justify their considerably higher prices, the quality of these budget bits is plenty good until and unless I see that I am using a particular profile enough to justify buying a top-brand example.

One key point about bits, though ... a collection of bits will soon represent more money than the router itself, and you absolutely want as many of your bits as possible to have 1/2" shanks. So whatever you do, for your first router, don't buy one that accepts only 1/4" shanks. Been there, done that, don't recommend it.
                  Larry

Comment

Working...