X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickT
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003

Rockler or HTC mobile base for drill press

I think I've narrowed my choices for a drill press mobile base to either the Rocker (Delta makes one just like it) or the HTC. The Rockler/Delta uses a foot pedal to raise and lower the base. Does anyone use this base on a drill press? Do you find the pedal getting in your way? I like the design, but I'm not sure if I'd be tripping over the foot pedal. [:I] The HTC uses two levers on the side. I would think they might not be as easy to operate, but they seem to be out of the way. Also, which one might be the most stable?
    Thanks,
    Rick

• Ken Weaver
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Clemson, SC, USA
    • Rigid TS3650

I have the HTC on my BT, planer, and jointer. They work great, no problem. You can adjust the way the raising tabs flip to meet your personal preferences. I like them and will be getting one more for my DP and plan to use one on my band saw (when I get one).
    Ken Weaver
    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• jnesmith
      • Jan 2003
      • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I have the HTC under my jointer. Works great. However, I used to have it under my DP. When you configure it for such a small footprint, one end is significantly higher than the other, causing the DP to tilt forward or backward, depending on how you position it.

I called HTC about it. (After spedning an hour looking for a support number) The rep acted like he had never heard such a complaint before, then later admitted he had. He had no solution though.
      John

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I'm using, the now discontinued, Harbor Freight version of the Delta base under my drill press and it works great. As far as the foot pedal getting in the way, just construct the base in such a way that the foot pedal will be on one of the sides and it won't be a problem. I actually have the foot pedal on mine in the front and one of these days I'm going to redo the base and put it on the side.

Comment

• Bob Crosley
          Established Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Valrico, Florida.

I think it's problematic to try to use a small footprint mobile base on a small footprint/top heavy tool like a floor standing DP. In fact, if you read your manual, you'll see that most manufacturers don't recommend just having a DP sit on the floor. They usually recommend a large piece of plywood bolted to the base to provide a wider footprint.

I have this http://jordanindustrial.zoovy.com/product/MI91480 mobile base under my jointer. I'm seriously considering buying one for my DP, then opening it up to it's maximum size. Then I'll cut 2 pieces of plywood to fit the opening, but them in and bolt the DP to that. That would give a much wider footprint to make the DP less tippy.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Clemson, SC, USA
            • Rigid TS3650

I have a bench top DP (10") mounted on a stand that has the same footprint as my planer. Don't anticipate a problem with the HTC in this situation.
            Ken Weaver
            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I have the HTC under my table saw, a big craftsman ,about 275lbs and it works just fine. If I were using it for a drill press I would mount the drill press to a larger foot print wood base to make it more stable. With the locking feet to the side you should be o.k.
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• PDX-MIKE
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2004
                • Portland, OR, USA.

I have my HF 14" bandsaw and my Craftsman DP mounted on the Rockler mobile bases. On the DP I made it with a larger footprint and bolted the DP to a 3/4" baltic birch plywood "sub-base" then screwed the sub-base to the mobile base. The BS seems pretty stable as is.

I have the BT3100 on a Craftsman version of the HTC base. It's pretty good too.

Overall, I like the Rockler base for heavy items (like the DP & BS) better. The HTC type with the two lifters on the front corners (at least for me YMMV) seem to be a bit harder to operate. You are Lifting the lever "up and over" and you have two to deal with. On the Rockler type you are stepping down on one foot pedal to raise.

Mike

Comment

• Tom Miller
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I have my Jet DP on an HTC base with the front casters out to the side, which makes it stable enough, IMO, and more stable than without a base. I operate the cam levers pretty easily with my foot while holding the DP table.

If you go with the Rockler/Delta, the suggestion to make a wider sub-base seems wise. Otherwise, I don't think it would be as stable as the HTC.

Regards,
                  Tom

Comment

• hardihood1
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • wa, USA.
                    • bt 3100

iv got my bt3100 on the rockler and my 14" hf bandsaw on the htc.
                    when you buy the rockler you also have to buy wood, added cost. they wont you to use oak...$$$
                    i got the htc from amazon. free shipping. alot easier to put together. no added cost for lumber.
                    over all i like the htc alot better and will get those when i need a mobile base.
                    not to impressed by the rockler mobile base.
                    measure once...cut twice!

Comment

Working...