• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadwax
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2004
    • Wanaque, NJ, USA.

Cutting case hardened steel rods

Well, I found out that a hack saw won't do it :-). What's the best way? I don't have a metal cutoff saw or angle grinder. What I do have is a jigsaw (Bosch), a Rotozip with the angle grinder attachment, and a Craftsman Dremmel-like tool.

The rods are 1/2".

Thanks.

Gary
    deadwax
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

The angle grinder attachment with a cut-off disk on the Roto-Zip should do the trick. The only problem I see would be that the case hardened steel is going to use up the disk fairly quickly. I don't know what extra 3 1/2" disks would cost. The arbor hole also doesn't appear to be a standard size.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• WayneJ
      • Jan 2004
      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Good chance to get a new tool. The ryobi disc grinder is aboue 25-30 $$. The grinding discs are less that 2$.You can always use a new tool.
      Wayne
      Wayne J

Comment

• deadwax
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2004
        • Wanaque, NJ, USA.

Pappy: I'll give it a try. I don't know how much replacements are either, never used the rotozip that way before.

WayneJ: Can't spend the $25 right now, especially for something I'd likely use once or twice a year and I have something in the shop that might work already.

Gary
        deadwax

Comment

• thiggy
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Alabama.
          • Craftsman Contractor

How about a carbide abrasive blade in the sabre saw?
          SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I have an angle grinder I bought at Northern Hydraulic for less than $20 about 5 years ago. I was putting ceramic tile in our house which was under construction and needed something for the L shaped cuts. I figured it was a "throw away" until my other tools came out of storage. I'm still using this grinder, mainly to cut metal. Doesn't show any signs of giving up the ghost yet. Harbor Freight should have something similar if there is no Northern Hydraulic near you.

You can also use a cutting wheel in the Dremel. It is the same thing as using a grinder, just very small. 1/2 inch rod is pushing this a bit - expect to break several wheels per cut - but it will work if your hand is steady enough and you have enough patience.

Jim

Comment

• deadwax
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2004
              • Wanaque, NJ, USA.

Well, when I went down this morning to try and make the cut, I couldn't find the pinion gear for the rotozip. I went to Borg hoping to find a replacement but there weren't any. No carbide jigsaw blades either.

On a whim, I stopped at the local True Value and they had a generic carbide jigsaw blade with a T shank for $4. Worked like a charm.

I used the rotozip wheel attached to an arbor from a polishing wheel powered by an cordless drill to file and bevel the edges.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys.

Gary
              deadwax

Comment

Working...