X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vo2max

Dewalt/Ridgid miter saw

What do you guys think of the dewalt DW703 10 inch miter saw and the RIDGID
    12" Compound Miter Saw with EXACTLINE and stand. The Ridgid seems to be the better buy I'm thinking of buying one this weekend.

Ken
  • KY Joe
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005

Ken,
    The 703 is a solid "no-frills" miter saw! I spent 7 months researching miter saws in order to add the best one to my home workshop and decided on the Bosch 4410! I really like its up front controls, dual compound bevel, and the high marks for adjustability on the job site! The 703 should be a servicable saw for you provided you are mainly going to do rough cutting of non-complex miters and bevels!

Comment

• coach
      Established Member
      • Jan 2005
      • Forney, TX.
      • Powermatic 66

as an owner of a ridgid scms MS1290, i can say that i like it very well. it has made every cut i've needed (even compound cathedral crown) with no hitch in its get-a-long. however, i found it for a steal ($300 NIB), or it probably wouldn't have been my first choice.

i am lucky to have a ridgid with a "Made in U.S.A" Emerson motor. i have heard rumors of outsourcing in current models. whether this is completely true, or even relevant is up to you. the ridgid is very comfortable to work with, and i like the D-handle (as opposed the the handle on the old makitas that you had to reach up for). the radius gauge is cast, and only the marker can be calibrated. depending on how much abuse and mobility it goes through, this could be an issue.

if i was putting down my hard earned money, looking at a dual bevel, non slider 12", i would probably spend it like this:

dewalt 12" ~$400
      delta 12" ~$400 (not the cheap "shopmaster")
      bosch 12" ~$500
      ridgid 12" scms ~$570 (i don't think they have a dual bevel that isn't sliding.

my recommendation doesn't change much for singlel bevel.

it does change a little for 10", where i really like the hitachi.

YMMV, hope you find the right one for you.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

quote:Originally posted by vo2max

What do you guys think of the dewalt DW703 10 inch miter saw and the RIDGID
        12" Compound Miter Saw with EXACTLINE and stand. The Ridgid seems to be the better buy I'm thinking of buying one this weekend.

Ken
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• vo2max

Thanks for the replys,I went for the Ridgid and so far I like it plus I got a $40.00 mail in coupon.
          I missed the 10% off...next time...maybe a drill press...

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

quote:Originally posted by vo2max

Thanks for the replys,I went for the Ridgid and so far I like it plus I got a $40.00 mail in coupon.
            I missed the 10% off...next time...maybe a drill press...
            That was a good choice and deal. Enjoy using it.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

Working...