This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vo2max

Ryobi 3 base router

Hi,I'm thinking of buying the Ryobi 3 base router, the price seems great but is it a good router? I don't want to have to upgrade.

Also will the fixed base fit nicely on my BT3100. What I thinking of doing is mounting the fixed base to the BT and leaving it there and just taking off the moter part to use with my other bases.

One other thing, Do I really have to buy the mounting kit from Roybi.

Thanks
    Ken
    • Mar 2004
    • Northern NJ, USA.
    • BT3100

you'll get many responses, but i think the general wisdom here is that the ryobi 3 base kit is good within reason. it is more beginner, but works well enough. some complain the bases don't swap easily, some sing its praises. if you can get it below $100usd, then by all mean give it a try. just before xmas, it went on sale for $88. at the current $129usd, not so sure you should give it a try.

now, you asked that you don't want to upgrade. First, many around here say you will get several routers in your life, so start here and find what you like. Others say life's too short for less than great tools. If you're serious about going best in class first, try the bosch kit ($220usd at amazon) or the Porter Cable 893k model (or some 800model # kit) which also seems well received. I have not tried either so just going on what I've read.

As far as mounting to the table, I think you may need the ryobi router table mounting kit (which may be available individually online or as part of the BT3K accessory kit) for optimum mounting. Maybe you can build your own, but this is set for the BT3K saw. This mounting kit accepts ryobi routers stock. It can be modified to fit other routers as well, through drilling of mounting plate, etc.) but someone else will have to clue you in on that. The gist I get is that the mounting kit is the way to go, rather than from scratch, but don't fret adapting the ryobi kit to accept other routers.

good luck

curt j.
    A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Ken Weaver
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Clemson, SC, USA
      • Rigid TS3650

Agree with Curt. I have the 3-bbase kit and like it a lot, its the only router I have (so far) that will handle 1/2" bits.
      Ken Weaver
      Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• monte
        Forum Windbag
        • Dec 2002
        • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
        • GI 50-185M

It's a good set for the price. The bases are somewhat hard to change for some of the people but most people have gotten by that problem.
        Monte (another darksider)
        Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• vo2max

I picked up a Makita router with 2 bases and even got a free t-shirt.
          After discussing routers with the guy at the building box,it came down to the Dewalt and the Makita.
          I didn't go with the Roybi because the Home Depot near my house didn't receive them yet and I needed one now.
          Thanks for the replys.

Ken.

Comment

• Bollox
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

quote:One other thing, Do I really have to buy the mounting kit from Roybi
            I mounted an old B&D router directly to the accessory table with no mounting kit at all, just drilled and countersunk holes to suit the router baseplate.

Mike

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Fabricating a plate would be no big deal, but the router mounting kit also includes a rudimentary two-piece fence (pretty cheesy, but it'll do the job), a dust collection nozzle, and -- most important of all -- the plastic inserts that reduce the opening in the accessory table down to something just larger than the bit diameter. Oh, there's also the clamp for the rear edge of the acc'y table. FYI.
              Larry

Comment

• lago
                Established Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Lago Vista, TX.

Since you are in Canada, your shop is probably heated. If not, you might have the same problem that I have and it's not that cold here. I have problems with adjusting the depth of cut when it is cold, such as 55-60 degrees F. If I plan on using my router, I put it in the hot water closet for a day or so to keep it toasty warm.

Comment

• Woodchuck_Buck
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Leesburg, VA, USA.

I bought this same set about a month ago ... once I realized that building a router table to my desired specs would cost as much (if not more) than the "top of the line" Wolfcraft unit (which was a let-down in its own right) I bought said Wolfcraft.

Since I rarely have gotten to my point quickly, I'll attempt to do so here: in my limited experience, the table mounting screw pattern (tempate?) on the bottom of the Ryobi router for this 3 base set seems to not fit any other standard. (I encountered this same problem with an old B&D router table a friend gave me) The Wolfcraft table lists several Ryobi router models that it is compatible with. Longer story hopefully shortened: I had to drill holes in a square metal plate to rig this puppy into something approximating usefulness.
                  <i>There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.</i>

Comment

• paulstenlund
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Puget Island, Wa.

I bought the 3-base Ryobi for $89 b4 Xmas and used the "hold-up" clamps from a cheapo Vermont American router table in the existing bt3 table to mount the router. Instant mount - the inserts can be ordered from Billious(sp) for $0.46 each for the Ryobi combo router/table kit - same inserts. Built a fence with dust collection. Works great and was inexpensive and quick.

Paul

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

As I posted about a month ago, I have had my frustrations with the fixed-base height adjustment ring "sticking" to the motor. I solved this problem by trimming the little rubber nibs that protrude a little inside the collar and sanding it lightly with fine-grain sandpaper. Now it works OK. I have the D-handle base--minus the handles--mounted under the BT3 for table use.

I used the plunge base extensively yesterday to cut some dovetails for a cabinet I am making using the Keller jig. I can report that the router in the plunge base is well-balanced and works like a charm, though I would note that the maximal bit height is less with the plunge than the fixed bases. Esady to adjust the height with the fine adjustment knob. (As an aside, I would once again recommend the Keller jig for persons who want to spend more time cutting through dovetails than setting them up.)

I would point out that the Ryobi kit includes template bushings, dust collection ports and a serviceable edge guide, as well as a sturdy bag. With many router kits these must be purchased extra. Also, it mounts directly to the Ryobi table with the accessory kit--no drilling, etc. But, you will probably want to get a phenolic baseplate that will accept PC bushings at some point.

Bottom line--it's a pretty good router combo for $130 or less.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• mleichtle
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Cedarburg, Wi, USA.

I bought this kit about a year ago. I mounted the d handle base on the bt, I can't get the cam clamp to stay closed, it'll pop open mid cut, very annoying. I think it will be going in next springs rumage sale.
                        M. Leichtle
                        Beer is proof that God exsists and wants us to be happy.
                        Ben Franklin

Comment

• WoodPirate
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2005
                          • Jacksonville, FL, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Woodchuck_Buck

I bought this same set about a month ago ... once I realized that building a router table to my desired specs would cost as much (if not more) than the "top of the line" Wolfcraft unit (which was a let-down in its own right) I bought said Wolfcraft.
                          I got the Wolfcraft table, too. I'm not at all thrilled. Have you been able to do anything accurately with this table? I also have the Ryobi 3-base kit and mine mounted directly to the Wolfcraft table. Had to spin it around about 40 times to see the lineup of holes.
                          --==&lt;&lt; Steve &gt;&gt;==--

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Comment

Working...