• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sawdustman
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA.

Router Bits

I was thinking of replacing some of the cheap bits that came with my Craftsman router.
    Does anyone know a good, middle of the road brand that isn't overpriced? I don't need top of the line here, but I don't want garbage either.
    I know Rockler has some good ones, but they seem a bit expensive (pretty much like everything at Rockler).

Thanks.
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

I believe WoodCraft still has their bits on for $5. I also had good luck with bits from the Holbren set I bought on the special.

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• mater
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • SC, USA.

Check these out. Great value for the money.

Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

There are two different suppliers that advertise here on the Forum, they both have good Bits at reasonable prices. Besides, Sam gets a commision on each sale they make thru this site.

and

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Another reputable supplier is http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Mainemarc
            • Nov 2003
            • Portland, ME, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Pappy

Another reputable supplier is http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/
            I can second Pappy's recommendation for MLCS bits. I got the 1/2" shank 15 piece anniversary set for $39.95 and have been extremely pleased with the quality. Some folks knock the idea of getting a multi-bit set because you end up buying a lot of bits you'll never use. But that 15 piece set contains such basic, frequently used profiles that I think it's a steal.

Marc

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'll second the Woodcraft $5 deal...among the best of the low cost bits IMO. MLCS is also very good, and their Katana line is even better. I love their free s/h....you can order 1 or 2 items and not pay 30% s/h.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by sawdustman

Does anyone know a good, middle of the road brand that isn't overpriced? I don't need top of the line here, but I don't want garbage either.
                The problem with the middle-of-the-road bits is that you don't know anything about their quality. The Woodcraft bits are a good example. I have examined them in the store and, other than the paint color, cannot see any difference between them and those in my 30pc set Blades 'N Bits set. I tend to doubt they're worth the cost premium over the bargain bits from BnB, Holbren, or MLCS -- not only at full price, but even at the $5 sale price.

Here I will hasten to add that I've not actually used any of the Woodcraft bits, so all this is speculation, but my basic point remains the same: with any of these no-name or store-brand bits, you don't know what you're getting. At least with Whiteside, CMT, Freud, Amana, etc. you know what kind of quality you're paying through the nose for.

My advice, then, is that if you don't want to invest in the big-name brands, roll the dice and get one of the bargain sets from the supplier of your choice, preferably one of the ones that helps support the forum. You will likely get a couple-three stinkers in the deal (a couple of the bits in my BnB set were out-of-round) but overall you will be well pleased with your investment. I certainly was (and I own a number of expensive bits, too).
                Larry

Comment

• elfreedman
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Irvine, CA, USA.

Ok. Maybe this is a little more than you wanted to pay, but I did get the Whiteside basic kit on Ebay through Briartoys for around $80. This set is well over $100 almost everywhere else I have looked on the net. Don't know why they can sell these that cheap but it seems like they have been on Ebay for awhile. I received mine as described.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I buy most of my bits from MLCS for the reasons already mentioned - acceptable quality at a low price with free shipping. The only bit I bought from them I would never buy again from them or a similar source was a dovetail bit with a 1/4 shank for use with a dovetail template. The carbide portion broke off after just a few cuts. I bought a CMT replacement because they were available locally and it is still going strong after more than a dozen drawers. I suspect Whiteside is at least as good. If you have a bit like this where the diameter is noticable small right behind the carbide cutters, you may need to go to a premium brand. For most bits, I've found the less expensive brands fully satisfactory. I've even had them resharpened.

Jim

Comment

Working...