X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penturner51
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2013

Hello

I am looking to get a decent lathe for making pens, etc - mostly small items to begin with, but hopefully moving on to "bigger and better"!!. I currently have an apprentice lathe, variable speed, but it does not have enough power even for the pens.
    I would appreciate input from the members as to what brand, model to start looking at since I have to start my christmas list!!
    Thanks!
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Sorry, I have nothing to offer you on the lathe front, but I will say welcome to the friendliest woodworking forum there is.

There is a ton of pen turning experience on here and I am sure they will be here shortly giving you more info than you could hope for.

Again, welcome.
    Joe

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

I have a jet mini lathe 1014i and really like it. So far I've only used it for pens and a few dowels and it works great.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Is that the Apprentice VS that looks similar to this version? http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...the-95607.html

If you don't mind moving the belt for speed changes, either of these will work for pen turning, and some larger items, and not break the bank (and often go on sale for an even better price):
        Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• penturner51
          Handtools only
          • Nov 2013

Mini Lathe

Yes, that is the one I have - I would prefer to get one where I don't have to move the belt and pulley - My hands wouldn't be able to take that!
          So, thanks for the input and hopefully there is some reasonably priced variable speed lath out there for me!
          Sue

Comment

• penturner51
            Handtools only
            • Nov 2013

I'd prefer to not have to move the belt - any ideas on VS lathes? And, Bil, yes, the Apprentice looks like the HF one!

Comment

• Carpenter96
              Established Member
              • Aug 2011
              • Barrie ON Canada
              • BT 3000

Hi I turn pens and key chains and everyone always asks if if I have a small lathe for doing these projects. I have to explain why a big lathe that is all cast iron does not vibrate as much, which makes it better for turning small items. And I do not have to have two lathes for small and big items.

Regards Bob

Comment

• lrr
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                • Ryobi BT-3100

I have a Rikon 70-100 12" X 16" lathe that I bought for pens about 3 years ago. I soon bought the 20" extension since I wanted to turn things like tool handles and peppermills, but there just was not enough length. By the time you add a chuck onto the tailstock for drilling holes, there is no room left for a decent length of wood. :-)

The Rikon is a really solid little lathe, but it is a belt changer. It is relatively simple to make changes, but I always contemplate if I really need to make a change, or can I get by with the current setting. I too long for a variable speed model, but won't buy one of the "hybrids" that are variable speed, but require belt changes to get the full range of speed settings.

I've kind of got my heart set on upgrading to a Oneway lathe, but I am also considering a Nova DVR-XP, since it is a pure VS model, no belts. The last time I checked, they were over $2000, but Woodcraft puts them on sale at least once a year for about $500 off. I have several Nova chucks and a bunch of jaws, and if their quality is indicative of the quality of the lathe, I'd have no reservations about it.

One thing I will mention that you might want to consider. I just bought the pen blank drilling jaws for the Nova chucks. They are a two-piece set that grip incredibly well. I was turning blanks between centers to a round profile, and then chucking the round blank to end drill on the lathe. This jaw set saves a lot of time.
                Last edited by lrr; 11-16-2013, 11:22 PM. Reason: lots of missspellings
                Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I will step in and agree with you about belt changing. If it is a bother at this stage for you, it will only get worse later. I did not like belt changing either.

I have a Rikon and bought a VS motor and controller from Penn State Industries back in about 2007-2008 for my Rikon.

It does not give a total VS in the range that I wanted, but it does give roughly 1000 RPM variances (600-1600, 1500-2500, 2500-3500) and I still have to change the belt within those three ranges, but it is not nearly as bad as I used to do. It is tolerable.

Here is a low priced but good lathe ( large size) that has a very good variable speed:
                  Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

I forget what you call the clutch system but it allows for continual variance from low speed to high speed without belt changing. Jet (and Porter Cable, I think) make the same basic lathe.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Originally posted by leehljp
                    Here is a low priced but good lathe ( large size) that has a very good variable speed:

I forget what you call the clutch system but it allows for continual variance from low speed to high speed without belt changing. Jet (and Porter Cable, I think) make the same basic lathe.
                    Reeves, I believe. That's a nice looking lathe Hank - has me eyeing my HF 25% off coupon with speculation in my eye

PT51 - I'd have to agree a larger lathe now is better so you maximize your project potential without having to upgrade later, and Hank's recommendation also has the rotating head stock, so you can really go big. Consider keeping the Apprentice for finishing/polishing.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Carpenter96
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • Barrie ON Canada
                      • BT 3000

Hi I have a very simmilar lathe and it works great.

Regards Bob

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

Sue, you entered the fascinating vortex of pen turning. It won't take you very long until you look at a stick, tree root, or some other piece of ugly-looking wood and wonder, "Can I make a pen out of that?"

If you haven't found it already, you may want to check out Penturners.org. I'd say that there's everything you could want to know about turning pens there. There are many helpful people there, but it can be a little intimidating.

Welcome to this site. Check out the Turning sub-forum here, and ask all the questions you want. Have fun, too!
                        Brian

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I agree with Hank. I have the HF 34706 and love it. I have turned pens and other larger items. It has a variable speed and rotating head. And Bill is right, it is called a Reeves system if I remember correctly. Works great.You can turn both small stuff and big stuff with a large lathe but you can only turn small stuff with a small lathe. (The 34706 is capable of between centers turning of around 33 inches in length - not possible with a smaller lathe.) The variable speed works with a lever. Turn the lever clockwise and the speed increases. It also has an MT2 system which means more accessories are available than with many of the smaller lathes. If you want to do large face plate turning, the head rotates. Well woth the HF price, especially if you have a 25% coupon.
                          Last edited by phrog; 11-17-2013, 02:23 PM.
                          Richard

Comment

Working...