Is it necessary to seal wood before staining?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 68KANE
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005
    • Atlanta, Georgia.

Is it necessary to seal wood before staining?

or applying Poly? On the workbench I'm building, the sides and front facing are sanded plywood (1/2") and it seems to suck up the wipe on poly I'm using. The front facing turned out pretty good but the side have 5 coats on and still seem a little rough.

Also, when getting the sanding residue off of projects, has anyone tried using one of those masking tape lint brushes? Seems that might work to get even the most stubborn dust off your project.
    What's her's is her's and what's mine is her's!
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I never seal anything prior to staining or applying any type of finsh for that matter. A light sanding between coats and by the second coat your wood should be sealed.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by 68KANE

or applying Poly? On the workbench I'm building, the sides and front facing are sanded plywood (1/2") and it seems to suck up the wipe on poly I'm using. The front facing turned out pretty good but the side have 5 coats on and still seem a little rough.
      On some softer woods a "sanding sealer" may prove helpful to prevent blotching. As Mark says, try sanding with 220 between coats.

quote:
      Also, when getting the sanding residue off of projects, has anyone tried using one of those masking tape lint brushes?
      I'd be afraid of the adhesive getting on the wood. A tack cloth seems to have a lot less stickiness, but still does the job well, including nooks and crannies.

JR
      JR

Comment

• 68KANE
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005
        • Atlanta, Georgia.

Thanks for the responses.

I've sanded the sides with 220 sandpaper between coats but this is my first time using wipe-on poly. Reading some of the other projects, some guys have used up to 8 coats to get their desired look. I'll check back after a couple more coats.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Sounds like you're on the right track. As you get it built up you can also try using finer grit paper and lighter coats, finally waxing. You'll be happy with the result.

It takes a lot patience - more than I possess sometimes!
          JR
          JR

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

I don't use any sealer on mine either. I also sand lightly between the coats.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• monte
              Forum Windbag
              • Dec 2002
              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
              • GI 50-185M

If you seal the wood prior to staining, the wood won't take the stain at all.
              Monte (another darksider)
              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• 68KANE
                Established Member
                • Jan 2005
                • Atlanta, Georgia.

That's what I was thinking monte. But as a noobie to this arena I didn't want to appear any more ignorant.

Comment

• offthemark
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Germantown, TN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Maybe I'm not understanding the question but I do use a pre-stain conditioner for soft woods (pine). It's really to even out abosorption more than to seal. I can't recall the exact name but it's Minwax brand and I get it at HD.
                  Mark
                  --------
                  "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• RainShadow
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Oceanside, CA, USA.

Boys: the best stuff is the MinWax sanding ealer/conditioner for soft woods that take up stain unevenly. I used it on my fir front door (inside) and the door trim/molding.
                    I have never used it on hardwoods.....
                    Good luck, Randy from Oceanside, CA -- just now drying out from the 3 weeks of rains.

Comment

• sawdustman
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2005
                      • Pittsburgh, PA.

I use the same stuff from HD--Minwax Pre-Stain Conditioner. It's only for soft woods and helps them to absorb the stain more evenly.

Comment

• MargoC
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2004

That's what I was thinking monte. But as a noobie to this arena I didn't want to appear any more ignorant.
                        I'm about 5 steps ahead of ya!!

Comment

• Tom Miller
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Twin Cities, MN
                          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Not that this topic needs beating any more, but I've been dealing with this a little lately, and here's an explanation I've heard that kind of makes sense:

When you apply the sealer, it stays on the surface of the less porous wood, and soaks deeper into the more porous wood. When you sand (after the sealer dries) you're going to be removing some (most? all?) of the sealer that stayed on the surface of the less porous wood, so it will accept some stain. The more porous wood has only been somewhat sealed in the first place, so it will accept stain, too. The net effect is a more even staining.

Well, it sounds good.

Regards,
                          Tom

Comment

• MargoC
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2004

This does not apply to the topic really but it's an observation I've made and thought I would mention it. I was using my birdhouse as a finishing experiment and did not have stain. I saturated it with linseed oil and wiped on oil based enamal paint (before the oil dryed) and got a nice effect. I could really control the evenness of the finish. I did this on several with different colors of paint. The wood was poplar and pine. It's kind of a pain, I just recieved my woodburst stain order and with it some prestain conditioner. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, I imagine the minwax prestain conditioner would work just as well. I can't imagine just wiping stain on some of the cheaper wood that I use as it would probably just soak it up like a sponge.

Comment

• Woodchuck_Buck
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Nov 2004
                              • Leesburg, VA, USA.

I've sanded the sides with 220 sandpaper between coats but this is my first time using wipe-on poly. Reading some of the other projects, some guys have used up to 8 coats to get their desired look. I'll check back after a couple more coats.
                              A more recent project (and my first in over a decade; long story, don't ask) was a full wet bar downstairs. For whatever reason I used the Wipe-on poly and got excellent results ... granted, it took about 8 to 10 coats to get the deep shine that I wanted, but I've have been very happy with the end result. I only used sandpaper after the first coat (perhaps the 2nd coat as well) but beyond that I just used '000' steel wool. It is a very fine, glassy finish that has withstood a decent amount of abuse and mositure (I believe there is a connection between the number of games of pool played and the number of drinks spilled/splashed over a certain period of hours)
                              <i>There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.</i>

Comment

Working...