• Show
Clear All
  • jwd12
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Dyer, In..
    • BT3100

Hiding in plain sight

Thought this would be an interesting project especially if you have guns or jewelry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featurl...&v=m1Qoz3FdRzM
    I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Very cool indeed. He needs more weapons though. One tell tale is a gap between the two top rails.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
      He needs more weapons though.

Nah, he keeps the better stuff in the vault. These are obviously for self protection and homesite protection. Did you notice his choices for homesite security? Ruger ranch rifle, I'd have to guess .30 cal and another perhaps remington varminter with scope. In house protection an assortment of handguns and uzis!!! This guy must be a riot to be around, lol. One thing I did not see, which leads me to believe he is not quite the mercenary - no shotgun? Very effective in house.. sometimes you need point blank brute stopping power.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by chopnhack
        ........One thing I did not see, which leads me to believe he is not quite the mercenary - no shotgun? Very effective in house.. sometimes you need point blank brute stopping power.
        At the very beginning, he mentioned that there were rifles and shotguns in the top compartment. I wouldn't underestimate his fire power, it looked to me that he is well prepared for just about anything that might come up. I totally agree with you about a shotgun, best weapon for in house self-defense.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by sweensdv
          At the very beginning, he mentioned that there were rifles and shotguns in the top compartment. I wouldn't underestimate his fire power, it looked to me that he is well prepared for just about anything that might come up. I totally agree with you about a shotgun, best weapon for in house self-defense.
          LOL, I watched with the sound off... I was on the phone, I must now apologize as this man is clearly a mercenary

p.s. - I think the title of his video should be, "come and get 'em..." :O

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

And an intruder is going to wait for you to open the secret compartment to get you gun out?????

Especially at night when you have to get out of bed and go to the living room or den first!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

Agreed Pappy, my pistol sits in the night stand loaded w/spare mag. and my shotgun also loaded right inside the closet, unless the grandkids are around, then everythings in the safe under lock and key and the wife knows how to use everything if I'm not here and a pretty good shot if I do say so myself. But it is an interesting piece of furniture and seems to be very well made tho not really usable in an emergency perhaps

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I like using every scrap of space and have trouble finding space for my guns, even though I do not have that many, so I like this. I think I might be able to convert some compartments in my built-ins..... Currently my guns, all long guns, reside in my closet in a little cabinet built into the wall. It is visible and could be opened with a good prybar quickly. The main reason they are locked is I do not want kids picking one up and then wandering around with it. None are loaded. The guns are not expensive and could be easily replaced. I believe the theory that all you can really do is make it take more time. If somebody really wants your stuff they can get it. I haven't made it real difficult, yet. But I'd like to be able to house a few more guns and on the first floor could be handy sometime.

A reason that shotguns are good for home defense is intimidation. I have seen reports that burgulars particularly dislike hearing a pump racked. My first choice would be my double barrel 20 quail gun. I figure my ability to hit quail on the rise could be useful if the need ever arises. 2 20 gauge barrels might not be as intimidating as my 12 gauge but I wouldn't want to stand in front of 2 loads of 1 1/4 ounce of #4 (turkey loads). While the gun is not loaded, a few 3 inch shells are laying on the support for the barrell ready to be dropped in.

Jim

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

It's a clever peice of furniture engineering, but nothing I would choose for a couple of reasons. As many mentioned, it's not really practical for quick access. Secondly, Who would really store valuable paper documents in a wooden storage case? If a house fire breaks out, you just lost everything including the guns. If I was going to go that far to "store" everything, give me a fireproof safe that weighs about 3000lbs. No one is going to steal it, probably not break into it, it won't burn, and you can get them with fingerprint recognition locking mechanisms for quick access.

Cool concept, not sure how practical. Besides, I didn't like the finish.....

my .02

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by sailor55330
                    Besides, I didn't like the finish.....
                    LOL, there's the woodworker!!

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Try to move that piece of furniture and you will know right away that this cabinet is loaded. Weight is a giveaway.
                      Alex V

Comment

Working...